Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official 2017 F1 Discussion Thread - See Post 1

25K views 226 replies 22 participants last post by  buckycat 
#1 ·
As it is now 2017, wanted to start a new thread for this season as the conversation continues in the 2016 thread.

The race season will start on March 24th, 2017 with FP1 and FP2 in Melbourne.

Testing will be conducted February 27th to March 2nd, and again from March 7th to March 10th at the Barcelona Catelunya circuit.

Car launches are schedule by the various teams to be in mid-February.

This year we have a Canadian driver - Lance Stroll - taking a seat at Williams.

TSN will continue to have the races in Canada - the assumption will be that most of the coverage will be on TSN5 with some of the programming changing from time to time. TSN will continue to use SKY's feed from the UK. TSN2 will typically carry FP2 TSN 5 will typically have Qualifying along with pre and post shows, and the Race along with pre and post shows.

TV

TSN GO carried the coverage from the TSN channels live last year, and had the Qualifying and Race sessions available approximately 6-20 hours after they occurred for watching later.

NBC will also broadcast some races that will be available in Canada, with the assumption that they will follow the pattern from the last few years broadcasting the Monaco, Canadian, U.S., and Mexican grand prixs.

BBC Radio 5 will also have radio discussions available pre and post race weekend available to download in MP3 format.

SKY F1 last year had some coverage available on their website - it was hit and miss and assume the same again. Sky will cover the race in 4K, but we won't be seeing that format.

The various car changes, rule changes, driver changes, etc. have been discussed in the 2016 thread and as they come confirmed, we can discuss and analyze.

Looking forward to this season!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like it's official: Valtteri Bottas to partner Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes in 2017 season - BBC Sport http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38489054

"Valtteri Bottas has succeeded retired world champion Nico Rosberg as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate at Mercedes.

The move, expected since December, also sees Brazilian Felipe Massa come out of retirement to replace the 27-year-old Finn at Williams."

#3 ·
We may see significant upheaval in silly season this year, especially if Bottas can't keep up with Hamilton. With some big name drivers becoming available and Massa likely not staying long term, there could be good seats opening up.

That will add some intrigue to the season. The pressure is on for Bottas to try and make this work.

#7 ·
Bernie is one of those guys that probably lives for F1 - he probably won't live long without the day to day need to poke around with the sport.

I liked the Martin Brundle story that aired on SKY where he went to Bernie's coffee farm in Brazil - his wife seemed to run the place and he was completely disinterested.

If Bernie gets pushed out by the new management, would love to see him be a commentator on the sport.

#9 ·
Ding Dong the witch is dead: Liberty Media completes its $8bn takeover of Formula 1 - BBC Sport

"Bernie Ecclestone has been forced out of his position as Formula 1 chief executive, according to a German motor sport magazine.

The 86-year-old told Auto Motor und Sport he was asked to resign by new F1 chairman Chase Carey.

"I was dismissed today. This is official. I no longer run the company. My position has been taken by Chase Carey," he said.

He added he was offered a new role as "a kind of honorary president".

However, he continued: "I have this title without knowing what it means," and did not say whether he would accept the role."

#16 ·
Thought I would toss this up after seeing the TSN schedule up - For those of you who live, travel, or get OTA from the United States:

FORM1 Schedule | NBCSports

NBC schedule - Monaco, United States, and Mexico will be the only races on NBC this year.

Assume that the practice sessions, and some qualifying will be available on NBC Sports Extra again this year if you have a U.S. IP Address.

My assumption is that NBC will be doing "studio coverage" for most races again, with the team commenting while watching the FOM feed.

Will Buxton was in the pits for most races until the end of the season, along with Paddock Pass not being produced for several of the last few races - he states he is still with NBC on appearances on SKY.

This is the last year of NBC's F1 contract unless another extension is signed (it was supposed to end after the 2016 season, however, Bernie signed them up for 12 more months in March 2016).

Liberty Media seems to have some ties with FOX, Disney (ESPN), and Turner with the management they have - and with them stating they want to increase U.S. exposure, I can see the rights in the U.S. moving to another network again. Maybe with the end of C4's rights in the UK, and NBC potentially losing rights next year, a "dream team" of the best of SKY, NBC, C4, and FOX (AU) can be put together for English broadcasts.

#21 ·
The new cars are all being revealed, nearly all have the shark fin, with the Ferrari having an extra little mini wing on top of the fin. The cars look great, love the fat tires and the wider stance. I really like the orange on the Mclaren. Can hardly wait for the season to start.

#22 ·
I like the lower stance of the rear wing on the cars so far. Only a few more days until testing starts, however, the Monday will be a simulated wet weather test...ugh. Should have waited on this test until the drivers got more time in the cars on day 7 or 8.

Anyone know of any video coverage of the pre-season testing being available? Last year Sky had some online content available in Canada, but locked it down after a few weeks.

#25 · (Edited)
F1® Team Testing - T01 - Barcelona - Day 1

1) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 73 laps, 1:21.765 (soft)
2) Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 128 laps, 1:21.878 (medium)
3) Felipe Massa, Williams, 103 laps, 1:22.076 (soft)
4) Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 51 laps, 1:22.894 (soft)
5) Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 50 laps, 1:22.926 (soft)
6) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 79 laps, 1:23.169 (soft)
7) Sergio Pérez, Force India, 39 laps, 1:23.709 (soft)
8) Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, 51 laps, 1:24.494 (medium)
9) Nico Hülkenberg, Renault, 57 laps, 1:24.784 (medium)
10) Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 29 laps, 1:24.852 (soft)
11) Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 72 laps, 1:26.841 (medium)

#26 ·
Good first day of testing - hoping that Vettel can keep up the good times to pressure Hamilton.

Was shocked with how well Massa performed (must of stayed fit during his retirement week) and again disappointed in McLaren.

Really like the look of the Williams livery on the shark fin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.