Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

NHL Gamecentre Live 2016-2017 Season

5K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  LucasHood 
#1 ·
Hello

I'm a longtime cord cutter and subscriber to this service. I originally signed up for it from the US and had since been using vpn service to get around blackouts in Canada.

But I thought I had been using the US version of the service but I can't find it anymore, it looks like the NHL.com website tells me I want Rogers GameCenter Live which means it must be the Canadian service it's trying to get me signed on to. Will I be able to avoid blackouts if I join GameCenter Live from Rogers?

Thanks

#4 ·
If I have NHL Centre Ice, will I be able to get all NHL games?

Games shown on NHL Centre Ice are also subject to blackout restrictions. Blackouts remain intact as the local regional sports network has the rights to air these games in a specific area.
How this works:
All Nationally televised NHL games are blacked out on NHL Centre Ice in all Provinces and Territories.
Winnipeg Jets games are blacked out on NHL Centre Ice in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories & Nunavut.
Vancouver Canucks games are blacked out in British Columbia and the Yukon.
Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers games are blacked out in Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories & Nunavut.
Toronto Maple Leafs games are blacked out in Ontario (Excluding the Ottawa region).
Ottawa Senators & Montreal Canadiens games are blacked out in Quebec, Ottawa Region, PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland.
Sportsnet NHL Blackouts:

Rogers Sportsnet has the rights to broadcast some NHL games in only a few markets. These games will be blacked out in Manitoba.
Vancouver Canucks games on Sportsnet Pacific can only be viewed in British Columbia and the Yukon
Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers games on Sportsnet West can only be viewed in Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories & Nunavut.
Montreal Canadiens games on Sportsnet East can only be viewed in Quebec, Atlantic Canada & Ottawa and surrounding areas.
Toronto Maple Leafs games - rights to Maple Leafs games are split between TSN4 and Sportsnet Ontario.
TSN Regional Blackouts:
TSN3 - will feature Winnipeg Jets games. Jets games will be blacked out for customers outside of Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Northwest Ontario.
TSN4 - will feature Toronto Maple Leaf games. Games will be blacked out for customers outside of Ontario.
TSN 5 - will feature Ottawa Senators games. Games will be blacked out for customers outside southeast Ontario, Quebec & Atlantic Canada.
RDS & RDS Info Regional Blackouts:

Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators games broadcast in French on RDS & RDS Info can only be viewed in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and those portions of Eastern Ontario consisting of Ottawa-Hull, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke (Designated Market Areas).
You may be hosed for the 5 games against Montreal & 4 versus Ottawa.

2016-2017 Regular Season Schedule/Results - Montréal Canadiens - Schedule
2016-2017 Regular Season Schedule/Results - Ottawa Senators - Schedule

You may have to use a geo-blocker for those 9 nights.
Also if Detroit is a nationally televised game (like the New Year's day outdoor game) on Sportsnet/ HNIC on CBC/ CITY, you'll need a geoblocker for that too.

#6 ·
Yes, unless there other things like torrents hogging your bandwidth.

https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/support-FAQs/
Enhanced Streaming:*Launched in February of 2016, the new partnership between MLBAM and the NHL brings users enhanced streaming qualities. Users can now expect up to 5mbps and 60 frames per second, allowing them to see all the action in crystal clear HD.

#7 ·
@magnet Gamecentre Live and Centre Ice are 2 different things. CI, all National games are blacked out. GCL. All National games are shown. The only blacked out games are local games. For LucasHood. That is Habs games on Sportsnet East and Sens games on TSN5.

@LucasHood If the Habs play the Wings and it is on Sportsnet East or if the Sens play the Wings on TSN5. Then the game would be blacked out. If the game is on all Sportsnets or CBC. The game will be on GCL. I have 25 and I have no problem.

#12 ·
I don't think that's correct. TVA Sports is considered a national broadcaster, not a regional one. GCL is including national Sportsnet broadcasts because Rogers owns that (national broadcasts were not included prior to the Rogers deal), but TVA's national broadcasts don't seem to be included anywhere in Canada without a cable subscription per this page:
https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/support-game-availability-flb/

#18 ·
In the past, they sometimes included a few randomly, but in general, they haven't been. I don't see any indication that it will be different this year. However, given that this is the first year MLBAM will be in control of it during preseason, maybe that'll change. All the preseason games are listed on the NHL TV site, but they all say Video Not Available right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.