Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Soccer on Canadian TV

79K views 351 replies 29 participants last post by  gattaca 
#1 ·
It's that time of year again to see who's got the right to soccer leagues.

EPL seems to be divided between TSN and Sportsnet just like last year. The 3 year contract was over by end of 2015/16 season.

La Liga seems to remain on Bein Sports Canada.

Here is the list, please correct me if I am wrong or add the contract length if you know:

EPL ------------------- 50/50 TSN and Sportsnet
Bundesliga ----------- Sportsnet (mainly on sportsnet world)
La Liga --------------- BEIN
Serie A --------------- BEIN
Ligue 1 --------------- BEIN (some games on TV5)
MLS ------------------- TSN (Sportsnet and TSN have TFC rights shared)
Champions League ------ TSN / BEIN (mostly TSN)
Europa League --------- TSN / BEIN (mostly TSN)
SPL -------------------- Sportsnet World
FA Cup ----------------- Sportsnet World
Cpa Del Ray ----------- BEIN and the Final is on TSN
Copa Italia ----------- BEIN and RAI International
Englan Championship --- BEIN

Concacaf Champions league ---- (??? ) Vancouver game next week is not on TV schedule yet.

TSN seems to be buying a lot more soccer, they added International Champions Cup.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking forward to another season!!

Somewhat strange that I didn't see any article anywhere online about TSN and/or Sportsnet signing a new broadcast contract with the EPL. While I prefer TSN, at least having the rights split between the two means we have more games on TV and have to rely less on TSN's lousy streaming service.

Some notes/additions to your list: Fox shows the occasional Bundesliga match during the season; TSN has all Whitecaps MLS matches, TSN the occasion Montreal game; beIN also shows a couple NASL games each week; I don't remember the Copa del Rey final being on TSN last season unless that is something new you found for this year.

Sportsnet has had the rights for CONCACAF CL previously and I haven't seen anything to say that has changed. The matches are usually on SN World, even when a Canadian team is playing.

#4 ·
I saw the Copa Del Ray Final only on TSN2 (May 2016).

SN World did have a lot of rights but they keep losing it to TSN. One example is International Champions Cup. Concacaf is not listed on either TSN or Sportsnet/World schedule. Hopefully someone will pick it up but I have a feeling it'll be online stream just like Whitecaps vs Crystal Palace.

FOX is trying to compete with NBC's EPL games, so they're going to show more Bundesliga and MLS this season for free. I always watch FOX for UEFA and FA cup final. I have to admit that compare to 10 years ago, we get a lot more soccer for free (over the air).

#5 · (Edited)
Soccer viewing in Canada TV

So rather than have these posts all over the place, thought I'd open a general one.

So this is what we know so far

EPL: TSN/Sportsnet
Serie A: Telelatino and Mediaset subsidiary
La Liga 1: Bein Canada (is this confirmed?)
MLS: TSN
Bundisliga: Sportsnet (?)
Ligue 1. BeinCanada + TV5

Nations League ??

#7 ·
Serie A : DAZN for All the games online and select games on Telelatino and Mediaset every weekend (big move for Serie A)
La Liga 1 : Bein Canada (Confirmed)
MLS : TSN for Canadian teams and DAZN for the rest.
Bundisliga: Sportsnet World and Sportsnet for select games
Ligue 1. :BeinCanada + TV5

"DAZN help" keeps tweeting that they're working to get BEIN live channel with renew of La Liga and Ligue 1

UEFA Nations League: I was hoping Sportsnet but nothing shows on their schedule .

#12 ·
Serie A : DAZN for All the games online and select games on Telelatino and Mediaset every weekend (big move for Serie A)
Believe it or not, Telelatino (TLN) has acquired the rights to ALL 380 Serie A Matches per season, however they can't obviously show them all since they have to spread them across 2 channels (TLN and Mediaset Italia Canada) and they have other programming commitments, But they did commit to showing the key game matches, which is good. This is a first for TLN as they have not had the rights to Serie A in a while. But Their Competing network RAI Italia, also has the rights, but will be in Italian language and in Widescreen Anamorphic squeezed SD, where as TLN matches will be in HD (where available). They have the Serie A rights until 2020-21 season, now that's good news.

#13 ·
So even with two channels, TLN cannot show all of the games they have bought the rights for? Also, is Mediaset available anywhere in HD?

This just goes to show why traditional cable TV's days are numbered. Today's viewer wants the choice to watch what they want and when to watch it. Cable channels choosing for you is not going to cut in the future.

#14 ·
I think when they bid they pick entire seasons, then they can sell the rights to some smaller games to other networks. Oh and MediaSet Italia Canada is NOT HD, its SD with widescreen squeezed anamorphically.

In respect to your comment ottvee, it's Soccer man. People who enjoy Soccer and other sports don't really fall into the same categories as cord cutters. The problem is most people when they make these remarks, they only think of the youth and young generations, millennials, there are lots of other people out there much older, established, not so much into playing with their phones and watching videos on their phones or tablets and not into multi tasking and twitter and the whole nine yards and would like to have a simple life and just come home from work or if they're retired come home, sit on the couch, press the Power button on their remote, punch in the channel number and sit down and watch the game and any commercials. People still do these things, and they are less stressed in life than these millennials, and not everyone wants to watch something when they want, sports is more enjoyable when you watch it live. I tried to watch a game once on demand but man it was so hard cus everyone was calling me and texting me back about the game and it ruined the experience

#17 ·
I don't know what wanting to watch a game on demand has to do with millennials. I'm not a millennial. My dad, whom I share a DAZN subscription with (try doing that with cable TV) is certainly not a millennial. We just like having a choice as to when and what we want to watch our games.

#16 ·
ottvee

TV5 has Ligue 1 matches as well (mostly just PSG)

---------------

In fact they are showing the 11 am eastern time saturday slot, it may be often PSG but it is not always them, pretty sure the Classicos will be played on sunday 3 pm.

#18 ·
I also don't know what watching a game on demand has to do with millenials. I do know that most people prefer to watch it LIVE instead of at their own convenience. We went to a local bar and one of my friends asked the bar waitress to play a repeat sports event on demand, and she did it, and when the game was on, a few patrons in the bar kept booing and said "Bah! this is yesterday's game no body wants to watch it, boo!" it just goes to show you how important it is to have a live broadcast when it comes to sports.

#19 ·
I also don't know what watching a game on demand has to do with millenials. I do know that most people prefer to watch it LIVE instead of at their own convenience. We went to a local bar and one of my friends asked the bar waitress to play a repeat sports event on demand, and she did it, and when the game was on, a few patrons in the bar kept booing and said "Bah! this is yesterday's game no body wants to watch it, boo!"
It's not surprising that people who go to a bar to watch a game prefer to watch it live. Hey, I would prefer to watch a game live too. But many times I can't.

it just goes to show you how important it is to have a live broadcast when it comes to sports.
And nobody is arguing against that.

#23 ·
Here is an updated list:

PL -------------------------- DAZN (2019-2022)
La Liga --------------------- DAZN/BEIN
Serie A -------------------- DAZN/BEIN
Ligue 1 -------------------- DAZN/(some games on TV5)
MLS ----------------------- DAZN (out of market games)
MLS Canadian Teams --- TSN (DAZN 48 hours delay)
Champions League ------ DAZN
Europa League --------- DAZN
Bundesliga ------------- Sportsnet World(Until 2020)
SPL -------------------- Sportsnet World
FA Cup ----------------- Sportsnet World

Copa Del Ray ----------- DAZN/BEIN
Copa Italia -------------- FloTV
Portuguese League ---- GOLTV Play

England Championship -- DAZN
England League Cup --- DAZN
World Cup 2022 & 2026-- CTV/TSN
Euro 2020 ---------------- Apparently no one yet!
Euro qualifiers ----------- Not available in Canada
DFB Pokal (German Cup)– Youtube (free)
Nations league –--------- Not available in Canada
Canada Soccer ---------- TSN

Please correct/add to above list, I also don’t know much about the contract length of these rights.
TSN invested heavily on soccer after losing NHL but now they are down to 2 MLS teams.

DAZN is clearly the home of soccer in Canada.

#24 ·
all I care about is Serie A soccer, none of the other leagues, except maybe MLS as well once in a while. As for subscribing, you do NOT NEED to sign up to a streaming service or TV provider to watch soccer. A Lot of people I know are cord cutters, and still watch the occasional soccer game when they go to their parents house or a bar/restaurant like boston pizza or jack astors or at a friends house. I do not subscribe and still get my soccer fix once in a while, and i do not desperately need to watch every game, after all I am a parent with 2 small children and am busy most of the time.

#28 ·
CBC Sports and MEDIAPRO Canada announced today a partnership that will see live coverage of 20 games throughout the 2019 season of Canada’s new tier-one men’s professional soccer league, the Canadian Premier League (CPL), on CBC Sports platforms. CBC will be the exclusive television broadcast home for 10 Canadian Premier League games, offering 10 live key events throughout the season. An additional 10 games will be available via free live streaming coverage at cbcsports.ca, the CBC Gem streaming service, and via the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices. All games will be produced by MEDIAPRO.

See the press release for the full schedule which begins Saturday, April 27.

#35 ·
Some corrections to the updated list:
Serie A should be DAZN/TLN, Bein lost rights to it last year and TLN picked up rights and shows a bunch of games each week.
Serie A games are on TLN AND RAI Italia too, everyone seems to forget that channel. DAZN is not a channel, its a streaming service so it does not have to do with this thread but I guess you included it anyways for simplicity, cus the topic states Soccer on Canadian TV, which refers to linear conventional tv.