Super Bowl and Simsubs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Super Bowl and Simsubs

I haven't been able to find a recent thread of this issue so I started a new one. Please post in correct forum if there is one.
It was my understanding that the CRTC ruled some time ago that beginning next year, CTV could no longer simsub the American commercials and replace them with Canadian commercials during the Super Bowl. I had always assumed that meant that the BDUs could not substitute the CTV signal on the American feed but CTV could continue airing their own commercials. In other words, the viewer could choose between watching the game either on CTV or the U.S. feed.
Not so, according to John Doyle of the Globe and Mail. Writing in the Gobe, he wrote that the CRTC has told CTV that it had to carry the U.S. commercials as well as the game.
Which interpretation is correct? If Doyle is correct, I can see why CTV along with the NFL is making a court challenge on this ruling.
Does anyone know when the deal between CTV and the NFL expires? That might explain the delay of one year in implementing this decision.

Last edited by waterug; 2016-02-07 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added words for clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 11:45 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
CTV can air their own commercials. The BDUs must allow viewers to see the Fox feed in 2017.

U.S. Super Bowl Ads Are Coming To Canadian Screens, And Bell Is Unhappy With 'Arbitrary' Decision

Quote:
That means that after the new rule comes into effect in 2017, Canadians who want to watch the U.S. ads during the Super Bowl can simply switch over from CTV to Fox, which has the U.S. broadcast rights next year.
Quote:
CRTC spokeswoman Patricia Valladao said in an email that Canadian commercials will still be available on Canadian channels and there is nothing prohibiting Canadian advertisers from buying time on the U.S. broadcast — although she noted that would be expensive.
Quote:
Bell... owns the exclusive rights to the NFL championship through 2019
Another link: Super Bowl 50: Last hurrah for Canadian commercials

As noted in the links, very few people really care any more since the ads are available on the internet, sometimes even before the game.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 12:05 PM

Quote:
very few people really care any more since the ads are available on the internet, sometimes even before the game.
And here they are all online:

All 2016 Super Bowl Commercials In One Place

I've watched them all. In my opinion none of these commercials are million dollar commercials much less 5 million.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.

post #4 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:55 PM

It's not about the ads for most of us, it is about the shoddy job that canadian networks do with simsubbing on all of their US programming they buy.

From cutting off the last minute of TV shows, coming back late to sports games from commercial breaks, sonetimes taking 5 to 10 minutes before the idiots realize they are still broadcasting over top of the US network signal.

My personal hope is that nobody tunes into the canadian broadcast of the super bowl next year. Let Bell lose money on it, couldn't happen to a better company. After the way theyve fleeced canadians for decades while they had a monopoly, they would deserve it.

I'm streaming in HD from CBS directly from my laptop, just as I also DVR network shows on the time shifting US neywork channels. No simsub is acceptable to me.
leeanne172, kcbrk32 and yohee like this.
post #5 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 08:59 AM

Superbowl 50

I am very curious if anyone tried to stream the Superbowl from CBS.com. I tried and it said the feed was unavailable and or to try back later. I thought that this year was the year we would get to see the entire superbowl when I learned that was now going to begin in teh 2017 game I thought it a great idea to stream it and maybe get all of the ads as well. I uped my internet speed for the day in preparation. But all I got was try again later. Did anyone get the stream? If not I smell a conspiracy to block the game on the internet by some means to force us to watch those mindless tv ads over and over and over again..

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-02-08 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #6 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 09:40 AM

I didn't try the CBS stream... you probably need a VPN / DNS service to pretend you're in America to get the stream started. Others online stated they did try it and it worked great (not sure where they were).

Do you have a VPN kiwi?
post #7 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 09:44 AM

The U.S. network buys the rights from the NFL to show the Super Bowl in the U.S. only. That will still be the case in 2017 and the network's web site will still be geo-blocked next year.

The NFL has joined Bell in the Federal Court of Appeal to overturn the CRTC decision, so there's no guarantee that the CRTC ruling will stand. The court reviewed Bell's arguments and granted them leave to appeal once, however the CRTC changed the reasons for their decision so Bell and the NFL refiled their appeal in Dec. 2015. There is a full timeline of the court proceedings at the end of this web page that I found when I was looking for the status of the court case.

Elimination of simsub for the SUPER BOWL - Bell Media
post #8 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 10:22 AM

Streamed it from cbs.com, was great till about halfway through the game. I use un block us DNS switcher.

Then it started to buffer more, so in 4th quarter switched to the cbs station on cable and watched the CTV simsub until they bailed as soon as the game ended. Then it switched back to the CBS broadcast.

Bell should be glad that the CRTC didn't eliminate simsub altogether. It does nothing to protect canadian programming, the only network that actually makes a real effort to air canadian programming is CBC.

All that CTV, Global and City Tv do is re air US programming, they make absolutly no effort create original canadian programs to air in primetime.

Just because people like myself don't complain to the CRTC everytime a simsub is screwed up, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of us out there very unhappy with the current system.

It is mostly a moot point now anyways,most of my friends no longer have either cable or satellite.
post #9 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
The NFL has joined Bell in the Federal Court of Appeal to overturn the CRTC decision, so there's no guarantee that the CRTC ruling will stand.
Given that a ridiculous amount of the adverts last night were for Bell TV and Crave TV bringing in zero net revenue for the Bell shareholders Bell really should stop wasting any more shareholders money on legal fees on this - no matter how flawed the CRTC ruling in law.
post #10 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 02:01 PM

Bell said last year the value of airtime they used for promotions was $4 million. I'm not sure if this year was more or less. I've seen news reports where CTV unofficially confirmed that the Super Bowl ads sell for between $170,000 and $200,000 for a 30-second ad. Even if Bell doesn't get any money up front for the promo ads, the whole idea of all ads is that they generate future business.

Since Bell is locked in to the Super Bowl contract until 2019, it makes sense for them to go to court to protect their shareholders' money.
post #11 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 03:16 PM

Not that I like Bell, but I completely understand their position. They made a business decision to purchase NFL rights based on revenue projections, now the government is forcing a rule change on one specific event. Either end simsubbing all together, or don't make specific cases.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell wins an injunction until the current contract period they have is up.
post #12 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Even if Bell doesn't get any money up front for the promo ads, the whole idea of all ads is that they generate future business.
That is a possible interpretation but there are others. Bell may be artificially inflating the price of Superbowl ads by using group companies to buy up ad space at artificially high prices. Or, having failed to sell the ad space on a bona fide arms length basis to the entire Canadian economy, Bell may be filling up space rather than running an embarrassing test card revealing they couldn't even sell all their spots.

In any event if buying TV ad space was a guarantee of generating future business then broadcast TV ought not to be in the mess that it is claimed to be in.
post #13 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-02-08, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obed View Post
In any event if buying TV ad space was a guarantee of generating future business then broadcast TV ought not to be in the mess that it is claimed to be in.
Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in the ad business. Imagine how bad things would be if they didn't promote their programs.

All the American networks run promos for their programs when they get the Super Bowl, even though they sell out all the ad space well in advance of the event and they keep raising ad prices.

Here are some excerpts from Bell's press release:

SUPER BOWL 50 is Second Most-Watched on Record in Canada with 8.3 Million Viewers on CTV and RDS

Preliminary overnight data from Numeris confirms that the game attracted an average audience of 8.3 million viewers on CTV and RDS, second only to last year’s all-time record for SUPER BOWL XLIX (9.23 million viewers).

Overall, 18.2 million unique viewers – or more than one in two Canadians (52%) – watched some part of the 2015-16 NFL championship game on CTV or RDS.

The game on CTV received more than 50% or higher shares among all key adult demos in all markets in English Canada
post #14 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-08-03, 11:07 AM

A bit confused about something.

Has there been any news about that Bell appeal over the U.S. Super Bowl ads for Super Bowl LI?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-08-03 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Merged posts
post #15 of 246 (permalink) Old 2016-08-03, 01:48 PM

A three-Justice panel of the Federal Court of Appeal heard the case (A-231-15) on June 20, 2016. As is typical with these complex cases, the Justices will review the written presentations, the oral arguments (which took over 7 hours), the applicable law and legal precedents before issuing a decision. I don't think we will hear anything before September.

Tags
crtc , super bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.