CBC Leaf Games Only In Stereo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-15, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

CBC Leaf Games Only In Stereo

I know it's not a Shaw Direct problem because Bell has the same problem but maybe someone in the know, knows who to contact at CBC as all but one CBC feed is transmitting the Hockey Night In Canada in stereo only. It reads 5.1 but if you listen only stereo is coming through. It has been this way for 4 weeks, CKSA is the only CBC feed this week that is not just in stereo, during intermissions the full 5.1 comes back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-17, 12:00 PM
Rookie

Yes ! I am so frustrated at this change. I was always spoiled with the awesome surround featuring the announcers in the center channel only. I am guessing that Rogers screwed up the sound in addition to everything else on HNIC. I noticed that the commercials are playing in 5.1 but nothing else. I e mailed CBC with no response yet.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-11-17 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-22, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, no action yet. Game this week is in STEREO only!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Nothing but stereo again this week, nice!
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 07:35 PM

Yeah, this is bull****.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 10:53 AM
Veteran

Can someone who watches CBC's games OTA confirm this stereo only claim? Is it perhaps a matter of BDU?
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 06:02 PM

I'm sorry I don't really get what you are missing with having this game in stereo only? You can hear the play by play, you hear the players yell you can even hear some annoying ass banging on the glass so what's missing?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 06:20 PM
Veteran

@sawguyg: What the posters here are missing is the surround ambience. Yes they can hear all or almost all of the sounds but all come from the front only. It may sound silly to those who may have never heard a game in surround but I can tell you it makes a difference. It gives you the distinct feeling that you are in the building with the sounds of the game realistically coming from all around you. It is like you're actually sitting in the excited crowd (well maybe not at the ACC). On a well designed and properly balanced speaker system surround sound adds another major dimension to your enjoyment of the game.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 07:20 PM

I have a surround sound I watched the Leafs game and I thought everything worked fine. I had the game on a lot of different channels did they try switching? I have the time-shift pkg. but I can see others may not.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 08:12 PM
Veteran

@sawguyg: My answer to you was based on my assumption that you don't use surround. The original question was from a viewer who asked if everyone was only getting a stereo broadcast for CBC hockey. I asked him if it might be his BDU that is providing a stereo only broadcast. CBC has never been the best for aggressive surround sound. Their philosophy is to use it in subtle ways. They've never gone for in-your-face/ear directional sounds, voices etc.

As an aside, that's quite different from TSN's Grey Cup tonight. That's been a surround sounders' delight. Lots of crowd noises in the surrounds. There was even one voice on the left rear channel that could be clearly heard telling Hamilton that "you know you're not playing Montreal tonight". Just the kind of comment that makes you feel that you're in the stadium.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

As I have stated, all CBC feeds except the Lloydminister BC (CKSA) feed are broadcasting in stereo even though it reads 5.1 on the receiver. There are so many people and so much handling of the signal before it reaches us there is no way to know where the multichannel signal disappeared or when it was removed. I have been informed that it is not unusual for programs like that to only have audio in the LF/RF channels even though they are transmitting a 5.1 Bitstream but you would think that with such a big deal like HNIC someone would fix it after 6 weeks. I have only confirmed so far that it occurs on Shaw Direct and Bell, I have a friend that is going to let me know if the problem is on Cogeco Cable also.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-01, 09:29 AM

I found sometimes the crowd noises were over powering the play by play. I had NHLCI and I found some teams fans were worse then others. I absolutely hate glass bangers at hockey games, the less I hear of the that the better I like it.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-01, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I am the same way, I went to a game and sat at the glass but made sure that the people I went with promised me they would not be glass bangers (I supplied the tickets). I have no idea why so many people do this Some channels like the Washington Caps that play on CSN I think it is have the best sound. The sound of skating fills the room and when the players go down to one end you can hear it louder in the left or right of the room, fantastic.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-01, 08:20 PM

Ok, so I was paying attention on Saturday.

The Leaf game on CBC was in stereo.

The Habs game on City was in 5.1.

On CBC, when the Leaf game ended and they switched to the Habs, the Habs game was only in stereo.

Commercials were in 5.1 throughout.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I now have confirmation that Cogeco Cable is also affected by this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.