CBC Leaf Games Only In Stereo - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 09:49 AM

Not a Leafs game but last night seemed like Tampa and the Rangers on Sportsnet was only stereo as well but Bruins and Ducks was 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I was just able to get an email for the Executive Producer for HNIC and will be sending them a note shortly.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Finally getting somewhere, the Executive Producer for HNIC has hooked me up with the Executive Producer for remote broadcasts and well see how it goes from here.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Holy Crap, now tonights game on TSN 4 only has sound in the front three channels, no side or rear surround. For us and Bell..... so far.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 09:04 PM

I had a sound system around 2006 with Bell Express view CBC games only the 2 front speakers worked TSN 2 front speakers and 1 back speaker the only thing I got from the back speaker was a hiss and a lot of swearing.

FOX Games in Centre Ice were 5.1 which kind of pissed me off if FOX could do it why couldn't a Canadian channel.

Sound system burnt up got a tv with stereo and simulated Dolby but no 5,1 surround so can not check.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 09:09 PM
Veteran

So its CBC and they can't seem to improve it. When I watched CVBC the sound levels were low and the commercials were 5.1 loud.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-10, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Well last nights game on TSN did not have any surround sound again and after emailing back and forth with the CBC Execs nothing has changed, problem is they did not fix anything for last Saturdays game and did not even bother to email me to see if I had heard a difference. I will give them until this Saturday's game and if there is no change I will try my luck with Rogers people seen as how they spent so much money on acquiring the rights for all these games. Maybe tonight's game will sound better as it is in Detroit, might prove that there is a problem with the microphone cables that are run at the ACC.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-11, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Last night's game in Detroit sounded great, another vote for the problem is with the ACC equipment.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-12-11, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Or maybe the ACC/MLSE simply doesn't care what kind of sound they supply to the broadcasters. They know most viewers don't care one way or the other.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 2016-10-29, 09:34 PM

Tonight's game is in stereo on CBC buy surround on City. Has this been going on since this thread started?(I didn't watch much at all last season)
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-04-13, 09:52 PM

Why is this still a problem???
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-04-14, 10:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs13 View Post
Why is this still a problem???
Well I (studlygoorite) (changed username by mistake when password would not work) have given up, CBC was not at fault as Sportsnet and TSN broadcasts had the same issues. Talked to several people at CBC, got an email from my complaint to Canadian Broadcast Standards Council and they had the Rogers Broadcast Engineering Manager (I think, my notes are at work) call me and he gave me a line of crap that starting with....and I quote, "you are not going to like my answer", so he knows there is an issue, bottom line was he stated that they take the signal and, I can't remember his exact words, combine it into the surround channels. I said that something must be wrong with whatever they were doing as there was no sound from any surround speaker and he did not seem to care. I said if you are content with your broadcasts only in stereo then I was not going to watch anymore Rogers NHL broadcasts and try to catch the games on other providers. Can't wait until their 5 year deal is up.

Note, that every complaint to CBSC has to be investigated (Home - Canadian Broadcast Standards Council Canadian Broadcast Standards Council)

I am a Cogeco Cable customer now, for their 4K, and confirm its an issue there also.
Leafs13 likes this.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-04-14, 02:40 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
When CBC receives a signal that is DD2.0, and not DD5.1, they send out what I call "improperly encoded DD5.1" wherein the sound only comes from your LF & RF speakers. Other channels/broadcasters may send either DD2.0, (which your AVR can decode using DPLII) or the other channels/broadcasters convert the DD2.0 signal to DD5.1 "for you" using an audio upmixer.

CBC have a limitation due to their equipment as discussed in the following FAQ, note 1:

FAQ - What's Available in DD5.1

I don't watch hockey, but I suspect that for away games they are not getting DD5.1, as they would likely do for home games, but I could be wrong.

The topic of CBC doing this for many of their programmes that do not originate in DD5.1, has been discussed frequently on this forum and it's the same for all service providers, since the provider simply passes on what they get from the broadcaster.

You will also note that many commercials are produced DD5.1, so they will come through as DD5.1 with "proper" audio.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-04-14, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Understood but it is not just CBC and it just occurs during Leafs game play, intermissions and commercials all sound correct, most other games (other than the leafs) on the same channels sound good also. Its almost like there is a Hab fan in charge of the remote broadcasting Have not checked in a while, the signal showed DD5.1 but only comes out of the two or three front speakers, showing 5.1 the receiver cannot do DPLII so the sound cannot be adjusted.
Leafs13 likes this.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 2017-04-14, 04:03 PM

Sometimes they have the same game on CITY and CBC on a Saturday night. The CITY game comes out of all my speakers but the CBC game never does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.