Speed Channel Discussions - Now FoxSR - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-08-17, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Speed Channel Discussions - Now FoxSR

In the United States as of today Speed Channel has converted to Fox Sport 1 and is no longer available. Fox has announced that Speed Channel will continue to broadcast in Canada using Fox Sports 1 auto racing coverage only.

Rogers 2PVR's, four digital terminals.
All DigNet pack, TMN,, Playboy, Hustler, TEN Network, Howard Stern and Sports Pak Sub. 2 subs Sirius,1 sub XM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-08-17, 08:49 PM
Veteran

So when Fox Sports 1 is not showing auto racing, what is Speed Canada going to be broadcasting or will the screen just be left blank?
post #3 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-08-17, 10:32 PM

Eastlink's IPG is showing the HD channel on 713 as FS1HD where Speed normally is and the listings match FS1 in the U.S. However, instead of showing UFC as scheduled, we still have Speed, according to the bug onscreen, and motorcycle racing.

Oopsy on Eastlink's part. Some subs are going to be excited until they see what is playing.

Cogeco - Basic + Mix 30 + Timeshifting, TiVo & 3 Minis, UltraFibre 120, Select Phone, Xbox360, Wii, iPad2 & LG G4

post #4 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-08-18, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

It looks like there are two Fox Ports channels in us a fox sports 1 and 2. When neither has racing coverage Speed Channel it looks like will have filler programming from its archives.

Rogers 2PVR's, four digital terminals.
All DigNet pack, TMN,, Playboy, Hustler, TEN Network, Howard Stern and Sports Pak Sub. 2 subs Sirius,1 sub XM.
post #5 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 11:45 AM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Well, since I was away for the last half of August and missed the change over, I am not too disappointed with the resulting change to SPEED but I do miss Trackside and Wind Tunnel. I see Raceday is almost picking up the slack but it's still not the same.

I think there needs to be a Motor Sports only channel, like I thought SPEED was originally supposed to be. I can't believe there isn't enough of a market out there for one. The repetitive self promoting ads on what we are left with here are more than tedious. I am starting to see a few outside show promotions being stuffed in here and there but it sure looks like no one is interested in paying for ads on a channel that has an uncertain following and unknown content.

As long as the Nascar stuff stay there, I'll keep watching.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #6 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 12:05 PM

How long can a channel survive without showing any revenue generating commercials?
post #7 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-15, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Forever. They are getting fees from each carrier.
post #8 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-16, 08:37 AM

The programming that we are left with since the switch is pathetic, if not for it being the only avenue to watch the truck series races, I would get rid of this channel.

I really hope the current Speed Canada contract expires soon and we can get a real channel back.

Last edited by joey90210; 2013-09-16 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-16, 04:06 PM

there's a new channel in the U.S. I've been reading about called Velocity. Looks like some quality, British gear head shows....maybe someone in Canada can pick it up. It's from the Discovery family:

http://velocity.discovery.com/
post #10 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-16, 04:22 PM
Veteran

Discovery Canada is already beginning to show some of Velocity's programming, and I hope they add more. To get Velocity here, it would have to go through the CRTC process.
post #11 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-16, 04:25 PM
Veteran

Just curious. What shows come from Velocity? Thanks.
post #12 of 250 (permalink) Old 2013-09-16, 09:58 PM

ah...there's a link...click it
post #13 of 250 (permalink) Old 2014-01-16, 01:44 PM

Just in case it hasn't already been mentioned somewhere else on these forums, Speed channel will not be continuing on Rogers cable as of March 1.
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/sp...=serviceupdate

As I mentioned in the other thread last year, I was hoping they would get another motorsports channel to replace it, like Motors TV, but that was wishful thinking.
post #14 of 250 (permalink) Old 2014-01-16, 06:53 PM
Veteran

Who would have thought, after all these years, the place for Speed is Bell!
post #15 of 250 (permalink) Old 2014-01-17, 10:47 AM

I haven't heard anything, but I seriously can't see the other BDUs putting up with this lame excuse for a channel much longer if Fox was not committing to providing something better. Most of their schedule is repeats of the long-ago discontinued reality and game shows that should not have been on a motorsports channel in the first place. I doubt anyone thought this present version of Speed was a permanent arrangement. It has very little programming of use to anyone since the US channel went away, even less now during the racing off-season, and no commercials, just a constantly repeated small number of outdated show promos.

Tags
nascar , speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.