Speed Channel Discussions - Now FoxSR - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 06:23 PM

Fox Sports Racing is essentially useless. I get better viewing options for weathertech sports car series on imsa.com for free(High quality stream). Then there's the world endurance championship. I suppose I could subscribe to them directly instead.

FSR, what a useless channel.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-04-27, 09:27 PM

I switched from Bell to Rogers to keep this channel and don't regret it for one second.
post #243 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-06-13, 06:42 PM

Unlike last year, it appears the Fox Sports Racing channel available on some Canadian systems will carry the start of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on Saturday June 18. Zap2it listings show the first segment of coverage going from 8:30 a.m. ET to 2 p.m. (race starts at 9 a.m.), then 6 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., and finally 10:30 p.m. ET Saturday night all the way through to the finish on Sunday morning.

This article is about the Fox Sports 1 and 2 channels in the US, although it appears there is only two segments for a total of 3 hours that they see on FS2 and we don't (while the NHRA or Nascar stuff on FS1 in the US is on FSR in Canada).
FOX Sports 24H Le Mans Broadcast Schedule, Lineup Revealed - Sportscar365

post #244 of 250 (permalink) Old 2016-08-10, 02:47 PM

FSR has smuggled Jay and Dan back across the border; Fox Sports Live now airs on the channel as well.
post #245 of 250 (permalink) Old 2017-06-07, 11:51 AM

Fox Sports Racing may be showing the entire 24 Hours of Le Mans live on June 17-18, 2017, if the present listings are correct. But that would mean not showing the Nascar Truck race from Gateway live on Saturday night (and instead only on tape delay on Sunday). I suppose that could be possible, although in recent years I think they've interrupted Le Mans for live Nascar stuff, and I believe last year allowed Canadians (or perhaps the ones with cable/satellite subscriptions for FSR) to access Fox Sports GO for Le Mans during those time periods. Showing all of Le Mans on the FSR TV channel would also mean Canadian TV viewers would be watching it during a 3-hour period from 10 am to 1 pm ET while it was not on Fox Sports 1 or 2 channels in the U.S., although the entire race is also made available to them through Fox Sports GO.

At some point during the 24 Hours, there will likely be the usual discussion between the American and Anglo/Australian announcers about whether the name of a certain French manufacturer is pronounced "Purr-jhoe" or "Pooh-Joe".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bxGoY_fB8U
post #246 of 250 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 11:10 AM

Fox Sports will not be showing the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the rest of the World Endurance Championship in 2018. According to this article, "Rumors have pointed towards the Discovery-owned Velocity network potentially picking up Le Mans and WEC coverage". I do not know what that would mean for Canadians. There is a Discovery Velocity channel in Canada, but it is a Canadian version owned by CTV that as far as I know may not be licensed to show racing, but it does show automotive oriented programming also seen on the American channel. This does not necessarily mean that CTV/TSN/Velocity would be interested in paying for the Canadian TV rights for Le Mans.
post #247 of 250 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 01:02 PM

My guess, if anyone picks it up, it would be TSN. They are the only channel that shows actual racing up here. MAV TV is available in some markets...not mine , unfortunately!

SHAW...GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!..Bring us MAV TV!
post #248 of 250 (permalink) Old 2018-01-13, 01:21 PM

@HarvesterOfEars Discovery Velocity's licence doesn't allow them to show live professional sports - see our previous discussion:
Discovery World to become Discovery Velocity Feb. 12, 2015

Since then, the CRTC has updated the Standard requirements for discretionary services (aka specialty channels) to essentially eliminate genre protection, except that live professional sports programming is limited to "mainstream sports services" - see
Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2016-436 | CRTC.
Tridus likes this.
post #249 of 250 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawUser View Post
My guess, if anyone picks it up, it would be TSN...
I suppose it's not completely impossible, but there hasn't been anything stopping TSN or Sportsnet from acquiring Canadian TV rights for it if they had wanted to, in the same way TSN shows Nascar and F1, and IndyCar on Sportsnet. Even now with their multiple channels, I doubt they would show all or most of a 24 hour race. I think TSN showed some of it (from ESPN) in 1988 when the Andrettis drove a factory Porsche.
Realistically I think the most likely situation will be that it won't be available in Canada on a TV channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
"services other than mainstream sports services are generally subject to a condition of licence limiting the amount of live professional sports programming they may broadcast."

"Limiting the amount" seems to be a little vague as to whether it would apply to this hypothetical case, or anyone would care. Since the "mainstream" North American sports channels (like TSN, Sportsnet, and their U.S. counterparts now including Fox Sports) have shown no interest in acquiring the TV rights, is this a mainstream pro sports event, or a niche thing? Who would complain to the CRTC if a niche channel like Discovery Velocity showed Le Mans in Canada, the same way it's been on Speedvision/Speed/FSR for the last 20 years? And I assume if Discovery Velocity did want to show it, they could apply to the CRTC to alter the conditions of their licence to explicitly allow them to show some racing (like FSR does, or to be like other niche sports channels -- Golf Channel, Fight Network, etc.) if they thought it would be necessary.

Tags
nascar , speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.