Hockey Night in Canada to show select games in 3D

23K views 75 replies 26 participants last post by  james99 
#1 ·
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/09/29/sp-hockey-night-panasonic.html

Hockey Night in Canada offers games in 3D
CBC, Panasonic Canada team to bring enhanced viewing experience
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 | 10:02 AM ET
By Doug Harrison, CBC Sports

Listen up, hockey fans and electronics aficionados: Hockey Night in Canada is going 3D.

And the best news is, you have time to search the market for a 3D television that will suit your needs.

The CBC and Panasonic Canada announced Wednesday they will bring the first 3D broadcast of HNIC to Canadian homes on Dec. 11 when the Toronto Maple Leafs host the Montreal Canadiens.

The second 3D broadcast available during the 2010-11 NHL season is scheduled for Feb. 20 at McMahon Stadium in Calgary when the Flames host the Canadiens in the Heritage Classic.

"We are very pleased to partner with Panasonic on this unique and ground-breaking initiative," Scott Moore, executive director for CBC Sports, said in a statement. "Together, we will be bringing an experience to Canadian hockey fans that has never been done before.

"This is a Canadian first and a very exciting time for television and hockey in Canada."
1st slate of games coming

Starting in October, Panasonic will be the official 3D and HD TV sponsor of HNIC.

Having worked closely with Hollywood to develop full HD 3D technology, Panasonic will help bring a new dimension to the HNIC broadcast.

"Panasonic is at the forefront of 3D innovation, leading the charge on developing technology for both industry professionals and everyday Canadians," said Ian Kilvert, general manager, corporate brand management for Panasonic Canada Inc.

"With our expertise and cutting-edge products, it makes sense to partner with the CBC to help bring the first-ever 3D hockey viewing experience into Canadian living rooms."

The first HNIC broadcast of the regular season is Oct. 7, featuring Montreal at Toronto at 7 p.m. ET and Calgary at Edmonton at 10 p.m. ET.

What channel can I watch the 3D broadcasts on?

Bell TV on channel 1933 (Satellite TV) and 1208 (Fibe TV)
www.bell.ca/tv

Shaw Direct on channel 233/ 333 (Classic/Advanced)
www.shawdirect.ca

TELUS Optik TV™ subscribers on channel 656, TELUS Satellite TV® subscribers on channel 1933
www.telus.com/tv

Vidéotron channel 800
www.videotron.com/service/tv

Contact your local television service provider for more information.

See less See more
#34 ·
It will be the first ever 3D hockey broadcast
If Bruce Rainnie said that, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

#37 ·
Hugh, I'm sure he's repeating the CBC party line. He certainly repeated it enough during the interview. Which prior 3D hockey broadcast were you thinking of?
First ever 3D hockey broadcast for the CBC yes, but MSG did a 3D game last year between the Rangers and Islanders from Madison Square Garden, so that was the first reported hockey game in 3D

#38 ·
The MSG one was the first.

I suspect Bruce is just towing the party line but its a falsehood that I've heard repeated and I find it disappointing that the CBC (an institution I respect for its veracity) is saying this.

If CTV or Global or Rogers had said it, I wouldn't have even bothered commenting!

#44 ·
Interesting. I stand corrected. Here is Vidoetron's Press Release:

In collaboration with SENSIO, Videotron is able to deliver anaglyph* 3D entertainment of exceptional quality to customers with an HD television set and special glasses.
So presumably Vidoetron will have channels to show the game in SD, HD, Anaglyph 3D HD and L/R split 3D HD. I don't envy their customer support team trying to tell people which channel to watch the game on. ;)

#47 ·
FYI, from November 17th Videotron press release

CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada on December 11
On December 11, at 7:00 p.m., hockey fans will be able to watch the Montréal Canadiens / Toronto Maple Leafs game in 3D. Customers equipped with a 3D TV set will be able to see the game in Full 3D on channel 801.

To watch content in Full 3D, customers must use the glasses that came with their 3D television set and must have an HD set-top box. Customers who own a regular HD television set and HD set-top box can buy red/cyan 3D glasses to be able to watch anaglyph 3D. 3D glasses with plastic frames will be available starting November 19 at Videotron stores and counters. Until then, cardboard 3D glasses are available at Videotron le superclub locations.
From a Videotron press release issued yesterday (December 9th)

To see the game in 3D, customers who own a regular HD television set can buy red/cyan 3D glasses, available in plastic frames at Videotron stores and counters.
Marc, I don't dispute what you are saying but I want to let folks know that Videotron has mentioned on multiple occasions that it would be airing the anaglyph version.

#51 ·
From Multichannel News, the CBC feed is getting picked up by NHL Network's USA feed and many BDU's have agreed to air the 3D broadcast...

In the first 3D National Hockey League telecast north of the border, CBC and Panasonic Canada will televise the Montreal Canadiens against the Toronto Maple Leafs at 7 p.m. (ET) from the Air Canada Centre on Dec. 11.

The CBC feed, bolstered by views from Panasonic's professional full HD 3D cameras, is being made available in the States via NHL Network U.S.

At press time, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox, DirecTV, Marco Cable and Paul Bunyan Communications have committed to airing the Montreal-Toronto game in 3D on Saturday night.
http://www.multichannel.com/article...el+News+-+Breaking+News)&utm_content=My+Yahoo

#55 ·
Sorry there is no OTA as the 3D image is not backwards compatible for regular TVs.
I'm not sure if that's the conclusion I get from reading the posts above. After all, I could have a 3d tv pulling OTA. I think you mean to say that since the Cable companies are paying for the 3d transformation in either "full 3d" or "analglyph 3d" and not the broadcaster (CBC), I am SOL.

Price of (New TV + Cable subscription + glasses) > Price of (pair of NHL tickets)?

#57 ·
Well I am sure user Marc can clarify but my understanding is that CBC is choosing to not put out the 3D broadcast OTA in lieu of showing the 2D broadcast OTA instead. They can only air one or the other OTA and not both. They could if they wanted to put out the 3D broadcast BUT then anyone with a 2D teleivision who would tune to the channel OTA wouldn't have a usable picture. The OTA market is only a slight portion of the total audience and of that segment, how many OTA viewers have a 3D TV set? It wouldn't make sense.

#58 ·
elmsley,

CBC is producing a 3D game and offering it to cable and satellite operators some of which are making an anaglyph version from the signal.

If CBC fed the same game to OTA transmitters, people with non-3D TVs would see 2 images (like this)and not be very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.