Laptop trouble in Home Network - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Laptop trouble in Home Network

Hi all,

This has been a frustrating few days!

My home network worked flawlessly until I took my laptop to the campground and tried to connect to their wi-fi. Now I cannot get the laptop to connect to any network drives or use the remote desktop.

I have 3 PC's - one with Vista Home Premium, one with XP, and a laptop with XP. The 2 desktops are hard wired to the router. The XP desktop is basically a file storage (no monitor) and I use remote desktop to connect to it. The two desktops can see each other and I can move freely between them. The Vista machine can see the laptop and connect to it through a mapped network drive.

Unfortunately the laptop cannot connect to either of the desktops. They are all part of the same doman (WORKGROUP), I've run the LLTD on the laptop, etc. The Vista network map shows something differently than what I remember though. It shows the desktops connected through a SWITCH, then to the gateway and to the internet. The Laptop shows a wireless connection to teh gateway (Router) then to the internet. I can PING both of the desktops successfully from the laptop.

I am usually very good at figuring this stuff out, but this has had me going for three days now! LOL

Why can't my laptop connect to my other PC's?

Thanks a million!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.