Windows XP and ZoneAlarm (pertains to a Microsoft fix) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-09, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Windows XP and ZoneAlarm (pertains to a Microsoft fix)

Microsoft 'fix' cripples ZoneAlarm users

I had this problem earlier today but got it solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-09, 12:14 PM

The short solution is to uninstall the Microsoft patch KB951748.

Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and checkmark "Show updates". Scroll down to "Windows XP - Software Updates" and remove KB951748.

Next time MS Update runs, don't install KB951748.

Of course if you're reading this you've already disabled Zonealarm or you have access to another computer.

Here's the official Zonealarm posting.

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=52860
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-09, 12:46 PM
Member #1

I don't use ZoneAlarm but I'm wondering Is this a problem for any other firewall software?

I assume another workaround would be to uninstall ZoneAlarm, turn on the windows Firewall and install the patch.

The question is how important is the patch?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-10, 01:58 AM
Veteran

I also had this problem and even with ZoneAlarm (ZA) removed, I could not use the Windows Firewall. So goodbye ZA, welcome Comodo. Comodo works with the Microsoft patch KB951748.

SA9865HD; Panasonic TH-50PZ850; Denon AVR-X4000; Tannoy: Arden, S8C, S8LR; SVS 16-46PC+; Oppo 971; Harmony 659/680
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-10, 02:10 AM

I dumped ZA a while back. It has too many problems, especially with new releases. Comodo appears to work as well and has fewer issues. The price for Comodo is much better as well. ZA's price increases were a bit too much the last time around. You might want to put Comodo in learning mode at first, otherwise it nags way too much.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-10, 12:51 PM

Can someone comment on the symptoms?
I think this is affecting me. I cannot use any web browser and basically have no connection to the internet... Internal lan access is not affected.

Funny thing is my wife's laptop did not have this issue despite running the same windows update... The only difference is the version of Zone alarm that is running on the 2 machines.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-10, 05:17 PM
Veteran

The symptom is as you described - no internet access.

SA9865HD; Panasonic TH-50PZ850; Denon AVR-X4000; Tannoy: Arden, S8C, S8LR; SVS 16-46PC+; Oppo 971; Harmony 659/680
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-10, 10:37 PM

ZoneAlarm has issued the new versions. Here's the download page.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

I've downloaded the new ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and reapplied KB951748. Everything works fine now.

Edit: Just checked my email and the Microsoft Security Bulletin was revised to include a reference to the ZoneAlarm/Checkpoint problem. No other firewalls were mentioned. Microsoft didn't change the patch, just linked to the new firewall software.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2008-07-11 at 09:50 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 10:46 PM

There is no need to uninstall the security update before installing the ZoneAlarm update. Just change the Internet Security Level to medium, this will give you back access to the Internet. Then you can download and install the update for your ZoneAlarm product. Once done, simply bring the security level in ZoneAlarm back to High.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.