Subscription version of Microsoft Office announced - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Subscription version of Microsoft Office announced

Microsoft said today it would begin selling its Office suite of programs and computer security software to American home owners on a subscription basis beginning July 15th.

Interesting. At $70 a year for three computers, its pretty reasonable. You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote and OneCare.

Only in U.S. in July but I assume it will come to Canada soon after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 05:33 PM

Doesn't seem like a good deal to me - unless you want OneCare. U.S residents can order Office Home Edition from Newegg for $110 with free shipping for a permanent licence on 3 PCs.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I think for average home owners who want an all-in-one solution with up-to-date office and security software, the price seems reasonable. Most commercial anti-virus solutions are $50 or so a year so its well within the ballpark.

(I know, I know, you can get free office suites and free anti-virus software but I'm talking about the average consumer)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-03, 11:50 AM

Up to date is overrated. I'm still using Corel WordPerfect8 (1997) because it still works and I'm familiar with it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-03, 01:02 PM

after a year

My worries is after one year and for what ever reason you don't renew then you have files you may not even be able to open?

To me software is like a hammer or any other tool once you buy it is there when you need it.

Just my veiw as I see it once the software becomes a the item on a fee basis then its like you in your car pulling up to a gas station only to find the place is closed or you are for what ever reason banned from filling up.
Slippery slope for me. This is in my view is a sollution because of the inablility of a system (company)to stop theift or loaning issues.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-03, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

As long as you have paid for the application, you'll be able to open your files! If you don't want to subscribe, then just buy the desktop application.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-03, 04:08 PM

About 8 years ago I remember using StarOffice when it was released for free. Just recently I installed OpenOffice (a derivative of StarOffice) and I was amazed... I would highly recommend it to anyone. MS Office for $70/yr or OpenOffice for $0/yr does not take a long time to deliberate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.