Vista: optical and analog audio active at the same time? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-06-21, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Vista: optical and analog audio active at the same time?

I've been racking my brain out trying to figure out if there was a way to have both optical and analog audio active at the same time.

Reason? - I have one video going to a monitor that has only analog inputs. Another video going to to a projector and that audio goes into a home theater with optical inputs. It is a severe pain to go into the menus and manually switch between the two all the time.

Any work arounds? (I've tried installing a seperate sound card, but that didn't work)

thanks

running Vista.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 10:46 AM

I feel your pain. What this world needs is a profiling program that allows a user to define device settings based on executables being opened. Video cards have such programs, but I've seen nothing for audio yet.

Sony KDL-55HX750, (Shaw Gateway,4 portals) , Sony STR-DN1000, Sony BDP-S590, Logitech Harmony 650
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Location: Victoria, BC (on Shaw TV & Internet, Telus home phone, Bell mobile)
Perhaps some kind of Windows macro program to automate the switch? Should make it a one-click or one-keycombination operation.

Mike / technut
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

THought about that. Here is why this is a big deal for us. We used to have a Shaw PVR and it was hooked up analog to TV and Optical to Theater, and we used both independently, and shaw's box had all outputs active at the same time. Now that we are trying an HTPC, we want the same functionality. I just assumed (bad mistake) that if I bought a MOBO with optical outs that they would all be active at the same time or least could set them up that way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 10:27 PM
Veteran

Location: Victoria, BC (on Shaw TV & Internet, Telus home phone, Bell mobile)
The Virtual Audio Cable program will supposedly do what you want, but from what I've read it only supports stereo and not 5.1 output. There are some other ideas there though.

Mike / technut
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-06-24, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Can't say I understand it, at the first glance, but not being 5.1 isn't going to work for us.
Right now I have the optical outputs active, and ran analog from the headphones jack of my receiver to the TV. So the only thing I have to do, is pull the jack out to activate the dolby digital inputs to the receiver.
Obvious downside is the receiver has to be on all the time, even when only using the TV. And remembering to plug/unplug the jack. It saves me the hassle of going into menus and changing digital/analog and then having to restart whatever program I'm using.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.