I.E. doesn't allow links to open new tab. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

I.E. doesn't allow links to open new tab.

For some reason, internet explorer suddenly won't allow a new tab to open when I click a link. If the link is set up to redirect the browser to a new link, that works, but if it's meant to open in a new tab, the original tab goes dull but a new tab doesn't start. I'm using XP sp2. If I use Mozilla, all is normal. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 11:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCScott View Post
For some reason, internet explorer suddenly won't allow a new tab to open when I click a link. If the link is set up to redirect the browser to a new link, that works, but if it's meant to open in a new tab, the original tab goes dull but a new tab doesn't start. I'm using XP sp2. If I use Mozilla, all is normal. Any ideas?
I'm sorry that I don't have a clean answer for you, but I can walk you closer to a solution....

1. Has IE worked for you in the past? In other words, is this tab problem new? If IE has never worked for you in the past, are you sure you have enough power (specifically RAM) to run it? If it has worked for you in the past, go to step 2.

2. Have you tried doing a full shut down (not just a restart), waiting for a few minutes, then rebooting and seeing if the problem persists? If yes, go to step 3. If no, go to Start-Turn Off Computer-Shut Down, wait until your computer shuts itself down, wait for a few minutes and then reboot. If problem persists after the reboot, go to step 3.

3. Open up IE, go to Tools-Internet Options. Towards the bottom, you'll see a section marked 'Tabs'. To the right, you'll see a button marked "Settings". Click on that. Do you have tabs enabled? If that box isnt' checked, check it. What else have you got checked off in there?

Let me know what else you have checked off and I'll test it on my end to see what is going on for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

It's worked up until a couple of days ago. I've done a few full shut downs since it stopped working. Right now, the following are checked:
Enable tabbed browsing.
Warn me when closing multiple tabs.
Enable quick tabs.
Open new tabs next to current tabs.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 12:31 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Which version of IE?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

7 I think.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 03:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
It's worked up until a couple of days ago. I've done a few full shut downs since it stopped working. Right now, the following are checked:
Enable tabbed browsing.
Warn me when closing multiple tabs.
Enable quick tabs.
Open new tabs next to current tabs.
Everything is set up fine....

I'm going to assume that you run a tight ship as far as anti-virus, anti-spy, caches, etc....If you don't, you should. Otherwise, I could suggest that you try doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL to check your system performance - it is possible that you have zero free RAM. But, I don't think that's the case.

So, there are two things you could do. Uninstall IE7 and reinstall it. Or just start using Firefox. I use Firefox almost exclusively and it is a superior program in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Which version of IE?
Internet Explorer 7 is the only version that has tabs....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 07:35 AM
DHC Supporter

I Googled ie not opening new tabs and found this thread:

IE7 Internet Explorer hangs indiscriminantly on opening New Tab or Browser

There may be something in there that applies to your situation.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-10, 12:23 PM

Do you have Google Toolbar or Sun Java add-ons installed? Both of these add-ons have been known to cause a variety of bizarre problems with IE7. You can try disabling these add-ons to see if it solves your problem by going to Tools->Manage Add-Ons->Enable or Disable Add-Ons.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-10, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I don't have either toolbar. I noticed in eljay's link that most users with problems had "windowslive" add-on enabled and by disableing that, their problems were solved. I don't seem to have windowslive either.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Re installing IE7 seems to have done the trick.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Re installing IE7 seems to have done the trick.
Next time, try resetting IE7 first. Reinstalling IE7 only works on XP. To reset IE, to go Tools > Advanced > Reset.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.