Have you switched web browsers recently? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Have you switched web browsers recently?

It seems that Windows users have a tremendous amount of competition in web browsers on the Windows platform.

The most notable are: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari and Opera.

I'm curious what browsers people are using most often these days and whether that has changed recently. Many of us (including me) switched over to Firefox a few years back but frankly I have not tried anything else since.

Frankly, I really don't see any difference between browsers anymore but I have not really tried any new.

Anybody out there switch web browsers recently and why?

(and please lets not talk about why you switched three years ago etc, I'm just interested in folks that have changed in the last six months to a year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 10:51 AM

Tried Safari 3.1 on a new PC during burn-in period a few weeks ago.
Apple's anti-aliasing (instead of ClearType) is just awful. Went back to IE7/FF.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 11:11 AM

I recently switched from IE to FF because I heard FF was faster. I have noticed a speed improvement.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 12:08 PM

Is Safari even worth mentioning as a Windows browser? It doesn't really stand up next to IE or FF; I think the only reason people use it is because it is the default browser on their mac and nobody has told them how to install FF yet.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone here can tell me why Safari is super awesome for Windows...

Anyways, in order to make this post actually on-topic: I tried going from IE7 to IE8beta1 recently. I used it for about 4 weeks but it is far too unfinished for a everyday environment. The new HTML renderer seemed to be working fine though.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong and someone here can tell me why Safari is super awesome for Windows...
The whole point of the thread is for folks to discuss whey they switched browsers and some people may have switched to Safari. If they have, I would like to know why!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

POSTS deleted.

This thread is NOT about what browser you think is the best.

Its asking for the impressions of people who have recently switched browsers.

As noted in post #1, I'm just interested in folks that have changed in the last six months to a year and why they switched recently. As I indicated, I switched years ago to Firefox but I'm interested in folks that have switched just recently.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-05-26 at 01:20 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 02:28 PM

I switched to FireFox only because I couldn't stand the bland appearance of Explorer. Firefox has a variety of skins which improves the appearance immensely, for me anyway.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-27, 11:22 AM

Tried FireFox

Downloaded firefox on a fresh install of windows... Ended up getting opera again. Too many cool features in opera to get rid of it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-05-27, 02:18 PM

I forgot to mention... I gave Opera a try again recently as well. It seemed to work great, but I can't use it because I use Google bookmarks and there is no official Google toolbar for Opera. The unofficial Google plug-ins were all fairly bad. I loved the speeddial thing that Opera has when you open a new tab. It is so simple, but it is a great feature.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 10:53 PM

I've been thinking of testing Opera again. I tried it years ago and while it was pretty solid and light (compared to IE and the Mozilla suite at the time), the rendering sucked and it didn't even support bi-di text. I would really like to try again but the lack of privacy extensions such as Ad-block plus and No-script are the main breaking points. I know it does have some privacy features, but nothing near to those two wonderful FF extensions.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 11:03 PM

I switched from FF2 to FF3. The difference is similar to switching between different brands of browser, FF3 is much faster, more stable and more features. They really got this one right.

At work, I use IE6 and it really is brutal and about 10 years behind FF3.

No experience with Safari or Opera or any others.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-10, 08:39 AM

Started using Firefox 3 Release Candidate (FF3) Portable Edition so I could run FF2 and FF3 side by side.

For me the big improvement is the Zoom feature of FF3 that finally allows zooming in images properly. I thought the rendering of the zoomed images was very good.

Other features of FF3 that I liked are the awesome bar and the more powerful bookmarking features (more options for saving bookmarks as well as the new tagging option).

Many of the awesomebar / bookmark organizing features are outlined in this excellent screencast:

Overview of Firefox 3's new features
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 05:00 PM
Veteran

I recently upgraded to IE7, but also use Firefox.

I use IE7 most of the time because of one annoyance with FF when it comes to posting on some web forums.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 05:30 PM

IE7 with IE7Pro installed rivals any Firefox + extensions IMO. I've tried Firefox but always go back to IE.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 07:43 PM

I always used IE, and when I got a new puter, it had vista as the OS
I liked the new look, but quickly found out that some of my programs would not work in vista ( a mp4 no name media player loader, and some other misc software...)
It wasn't a big deal
Then, one day, I did an update, and then I was getting an error when I tried to open IE7
I tried to figure it out (using google, and friends) and eventually gave up, as I didn't have the patience to fix it
Many friends suggested Firefox, but I like sticking with familiar stuff
I have no regrets, and finally did get IE7 fixed, by going back to my XP os

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.