MS Office slow opening and closing - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-13, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

MS Office slow opening and closing

I've had MS Office on my laptop pretty much since I bought it over a year ago (used). It came with Office Libre, but because that wouldn't display some of my Excel graphs correctly, I Installed an old copy of Office 2003 I had and it worked fine. But in the last couple of weeks any Office documents have started to take an agonizing 30 seconds to open and close. I ran my virus scan and it didn't help. I searched on line and found no solutions. I installed Office 2007 (I didn't want to go any higher because they're way too weird) and it didn't help. Right now I'm back to using Office Libre because it's so much faster, but I much prefer MS Office. Any ideas?

I have Windows 7 Professional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-14, 06:55 AM

The slowdown with just one program is unusual and does not suggest a system wide problem. My approach for problems of this mild to increasingly drastic.

- Backup all your data (you should be doing this already)
- run scandisk
- run diskcleanup

Test to see if Office starts any faster, and if not go drastic:

- perform a fresh install of the O/S
- reinstall your programs
- restore your data backup
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 11:03 AM
Veteran

I recently came across an article (sorry I don't remember where) that said that MS has a way of slowing down older versions of their software, even software installed on your computer, to get you frustrated enough to upgrade to (i.e. buy) the latest and the greatest, preferably their pay by subscription cloud versions, of course. Office 2003/2007 are definitely in that category and were mentioned specifically in the article as one of the MS packages often targeted. Maybe that is your problem?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm no fan of the newest versions when older ones I have do everything I need. The only other thing I can think of is that I recently installed Soda PDF 5 to edit pdf files and it now appears in the menu bars of all my MS Office programs. I wonder if that's what is slowing Office programs down
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 05:34 PM

You might check in your add-ins on Excel or Word or whichever program and see what's there. There might be an add-in you don't need that the program wants to load and that's slowing things down. With Soda PDF, it could be causing your problem if it's connected to Office, which it seems to be if it's in the menus. Try removing it and see if that helps and if it does, then your problem is obvious.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 06:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I'm no fan of the newest versions when older ones I have do everything I need. The only other thing I can think of is that I recently installed Soda PDF 5 to edit pdf files and it now appears in the menu bars of all my MS Office programs. I wonder if that's what is slowing Office programs down
Sounds like THE possibility
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, I found Soda PDF in the add-ins, but I can't remove it because it reqires an administrator, which I AM. How do I fix tyat?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 08:42 PM
Veteran

It's more likely that newer versions of Windows are optimized for newer versions of office. As a result, older versions of Office may not run as well or even run at all.

In this case, I would be looking at available memory and disk space to make sure there are enough resources for Windows to run efficiently. This may be done with Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Disk Cleanup may be used to free up disk space. I would also be looking into the possibility of an Office malware infection. Not all malware is detected by all AV programs and some not at all. Try several scanners to make sure. Most AV vendors have free online versions and there are some free malware scanners that can be run without being made resident, such as MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 08:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I recently installed Soda PDF 5 to edit pdf files and it now appears in the menu bars of all my MS Office programs.
I would treat that as Malware. Foxit may be a better choice.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Problem solved. After a load of searching I found how to run Word and Excel as Administrator and was able to remove the Soda PDF add-ins. It's gone from the toolbar and both Word and Excel open and close instantly.

Since it took a while to find out how to run a program as administrator,

Navigate to the program folder of the program you want to run. ...
Right-click the program icon (the .exe file).
Choose Properties.
On the Compatibility tab, select the Run This Program As An Administrator option.
Click OK.

After fixing it I changed Privilege Level back so Windows wouldn't keep popping up a warning each time.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 03:50 AM
Veteran

And yes just a note to one of the comments. Office 2007 etc. work just fine with the latest Windows versions.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I had Office 2003 working fine on Windows 7 before and installed 2007 when this problem started. Not a fan of the later Office versions. Not even 2007. Had to fix the Menu Bar.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Problem solved. After a load of searching I found how to run Word and Excel as Administrator and was able to remove the Soda PDF add-ins. It's gone from the toolbar and both Word and Excel open and close instantly.
I'm glad it solved your issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.