Firefox 57 Discussions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Firefox 57 Discussions

Spent last few hours restarting restoring cursing etc new firefox upgrade. I know better but in a moment of weakness I succumbed. Of course everyone on the planet would want their latest nonsense. Their icon (fox hugging the globe) has taken over at least 12 of my personally selected desktop icons. I used system restore back to Nov 12 several times but the new sucker is still there. It has also "removed" a lot of icons in the quick launch bar such as cookie manager etc. Oh wait cookie manager has just popped up after almost 1 hour of nothing happening. I have been in hospital last 6 days and only this morning did I upgrade (read downgrade). I will play with new system for a day or so before attempting something else. Be forewarned fellow travelers. sailmaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:14 PM
Veteran

I am still looking on how to move the tab bar from above the address bar to below the bookmarks bar. Why Mozilla hasn't allowed moving the tabs bar is beyond me.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:45 PM
Veteran

This is the Firefox Quantum upgrade aka Firefox v57.0 touted as being "Fast for good".

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL 9400 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One S

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:10 PM
Veteran

This is the Firfox 57.0 upgrade that has been touted as faster and more secure for some time. I upgraded to the 57 Beta several weeks ago. Can't say I've had any serious problems apart from losing an extension. A replacement was available and it is an improvement over the old one.

Can't say it's a gigantic improvement either, though security, or lack of it, is not always visible until there is an attempted hack. Most of the problems I've experienced are with misbehaving scripts and that existed previously. That's handled a little bit better in the latest version. Speed is better but it's still not as fast as Google Chrome.

Problems with icons, especially on the task bar, could be Windows related. The Win10 Creator's Update broke something there and I've noticed a few other odd things sine the CU final release.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:10 PM
Veteran

It certainly is ugly. Is there any way to change the colour scheme? I can only find a place to change the text & link colours.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:17 PM
Veteran

I didn't see any changes in the text & link colours. The toolbar colour changed to a dark blue. A lot of the toolbar icons have been redesigned. Some of the changes they said would happen, like losing the search bar, didn't. Most of my customizations were kept as well.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
I am still looking on how to move the tab bar from above the address bar to below the bookmarks bar. Why Mozilla hasn't allowed moving the tabs bar is beyond me.
I use Classic Theme Restorer for tweaks like that: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...orer/versions/ but I don't know if it works for the new Firefox. I'm still running 56.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
It certainly is ugly. Is there any way to change the colour scheme? I can only find a place to change the text & link colours.
Have you tried the Stylish add-on? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...tylish/?src=ss
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:30 PM

Firefox has driven me nuts for some time. I'm still running 56 because I'm worried to move to 57. Firefox (in my opinion) gets less and less functional and is slow and gets bogged down. I moved over to Pale Moon for the most part. It's like a light version of Firefox. It's way faster. The downside is that there aren't as many add-ons, so you still need Firefox for some things. But generally, it's way, way faster and smoother.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:34 PM
Veteran

I've found I can use Tools>Add-ons>Themes to switch to the Light theme. It's an improvement, but it still needs work.

Why the trend to ugly interfaces these days? I won't update Wireshark, as I lose the legacy version and the new one is also *UGLY*. What's wrong with the developers that they think garbage is nice???

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
That says for customizing web sites. Does it affect how the browser looks?

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Why the trend to ugly interfaces these days?
The Windows 10 "look."
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
That says for customizing web sites. Does it affect how the browser looks?
It's true, it's more that it affects the view that you want on individual sites. So you can do that with it. The Classic Theme Restorer is fantastic for the tweaks, but I don't know if you can use it now with Firefox 57. Perhaps you could force it by adding it directly to your profile? Or maybe on the Classic Themes Restorer forums, someone knows how to do it.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 08:16 PM
Rookie

I don't have any issues with firefox 57. I being using firefox for a long time and will continue to use it. Zoom, Last Pass and Adguard addons work with firefox 57 so no problem.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 08:44 PM

The only issues I've had was realizing that NoScript isn't yet Quantum-ready, and needing to add the Bookmarks button back to the toolbar.

Offsetting those factors is the blessing of vastly reduced memory usage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.