Firefox 57 Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 12:10 PM
Veteran

The slowdowns and freezes I've encountered have almost always been attributed to a plug-in, extension or web site script.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 12:26 PM
Veteran

If sailmaker is encountering freezes with GMail then it's a good bet a plug-in/extension causing it, and not a website script.

--
Neil
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 12:40 PM
Veteran

I sometimes get pop-up messages saying a script is slowing down a page or a script is not responding. Whether that's caused by interaction with a plug-in or extension, I don't know. With FF56, it would affect the whole browser. In FF57 it doesn't so that's an improvement. I sometimes also see high CPU usage by one or more FF57 threads in Task Manager. Killing the thread sometimes stops a page and other times an extension or plug-in.

post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 05:19 PM
Rookie

"Runs Infinite Loops Faster" was the old joke among Computer Scientists whenever a newer faster computer system came out. It applies very well to Firefox Version 57.0. Previous versions, both 32-bit and 64-bit, would only use one Core of a multiple Core processor. Version 57.0 uses all available Cores/Processors. At least, I assume so based on my dual core experience.

The Edmonton Journal web site and, I assume, all other Postmedia newspaper web sites, have long pegged the CPU usage meter for me, but only one Core's worth. Until Version 57.0. Now my machine does not freeze, but goes into "dinosaur mode" where actions, even mouse actions, often take 30 seconds to happen.

Last edited by adiant; 2017-11-23 at 05:20 PM. Reason: missing word
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 06:18 PM
Veteran

If you don't have something like Privacy Badger running, I suggest you try it. https://www.eff.org/privacybadger Most of the CPU-hogging gunk is third party ad servers, trackers, and analytics code. The Edmonton Journal, for example, has 36 first level trackers.

--
Neil
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 06:25 PM
Rookie

Great idea! I'll give it a try.
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-23, 07:23 PM
Rookie

Long time lurker/first time poster and builder of a Stealth Hawk 3-D antenna...
I've bailed from the newest version of Firefox because of Add-On incompatibility with some favored extensions (NewScrollbars [aka NoiaScrollbars] and others) and left Pale Moon because of some installation/function probs on Linux. Now I'm giving Waterfox a trial run and I'm liking what I see so far. I would also like to mention another ad blocker that has worked really well for me: "uBlock Origin"...available as an add-on or a stand alone. Tons of lists available that are updated regularly as well as an "on demand" option to block a site that may not have been added to the lists yet.
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-24, 04:50 PM
Rookie

So far, Privacy Badger has made Firefox 57.0 livable, in the sense that it no longer goes into Dinosaur Mode.

No tweaking, just the settings "out of the box" for Privacy Badger.
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-24, 05:11 PM
Veteran

I saw NoScript is available again and installed it. Tried uMatrix but it appeared to slow web site loading, used a lot of CPU and created errors on some sites. Giving uBlock Origin a try and Privacy Badger another try as well. So far, they are looking good.
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-24, 10:24 PM

General recommendations are to forget about NoScript and just use uBlock Origin, so you are on the right path.
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-11-25, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Can't say I like the new NoScript that much. There has been a big change in the interface. Script blocking extensions tend to be a PITA anyway but I like the added security. If I need to lower security for a trusted web site, I often use another browser.
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 06:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
LastPass pushed out an update on Nov 9th.

Current issues not present in prior versions:
* https://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=280465
* https://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=279765

I'm not blaming Mozilla for this - plugin developers had ample time to get their act together.
LastPass recently released a fix for the first issue with Firefox 57. Re-installing the LastPass Firefox extension with the latest version is required.
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 2017-12-27, 07:50 PM
Rookie

The glacial pace came back, even with Privacy Badger, so I bit the bullet and switched to Google Chrome, after about 10 years with Firefox. So far, I'm a happy camper.
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 2018-01-11, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Angry Firefox at it again ???

Just received an email announcing the new firefox Quantum. Anyone else have anything to say? I am not thrilled with the recent update and who knows what evil lurks for we unsuspecting poor souls. Discussions should be interesting to say the least. sailmaker

Last edited by 57; 2018-01-16 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Merged into existing thread.
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 2018-01-16, 03:29 PM
Rookie

WebRoot update to fix Firefox Quantum issues

Important update on my "glacial pace" issue with Firefox!

WebRoot just reported this morning:
Quote:
The Windows agent will also be updated, beginning next week, to improve the performance of our Web Threat Shield technology on the Firefox Quantum browser.
Since I use WebRoot SecureAnywhere as my anti-virus software, this is likely the cause of my problems.

Once the WebRoot update is installed next week, I'll look seriously at going back to Firefox.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.