Computer dilemma - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-12, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Computer dilemma

I am in a pickle right now. I have a program that doesn't like Windows 10 AT ALL. It keeps crashing it even though I tried running it as Admin with a compatibility of Windows 7. Nothing works. Here is my dilemma:

I can access another computer that has the program installed on it but it isn't the fastest to start with and can't be upgraded any higher. It has a very small monitor as well so it has everything against it.

I have been able to run the Remote Desktop Connection app and connect to the computer that has the program installed. The only problem is that it lags like crazy.

Aside from reformatting my Win 10 to 7, is there a way to connect to the computer with minimal lag? Would running VMWare and a Win 7 version on my fastest computer be more beneficial for me?

I need to know ASAP as I am trying to sequence for my Christmas display.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-12, 11:51 PM
Veteran

I use Win 7 VirtualBox VMs for similar scenarios (Win 8.1 host). Just make sure the host PC has plenty of RAM. I actually do some dev work in a Win 10 VM running on a SSD. It's pretty sweet.

--
Neil
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 12:03 AM
Veteran

What happens if you run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 07:45 AM

I suggest taking this problem to a Windows 10 forum with a bit more information about the program and the hardware you are running on.

James, Danster said he had tried W7 compatibility mode. But sometimes just running the installer that way can solve the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 10:54 AM

Try turning off Aero effects on the old computer. Remote into it, right-click on the remote desktop and select Personalize. Pick a Windows Classic theme for the desktop display. This should fix the lag.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 11:01 AM
Veteran

What is the program? Knowing that might help.

With the exception of video playback, I don't notice a lot of lag with Remote Desktop. That's with a Gb network connection. What is the network connection speed and can it be upgraded?

Getting the program to install on Win10 is half the battle. That indicates to me that using Win7 compatibility mode for installation and running the program might work.

VMs can solve compatibility problems but they tend to have weak hardware emulation, especially for video. For programs that don't need fast video or access to a lot of system hardware they are good. VirtualBox is worth a look since it is free and full featured.

Would temporarily putting a bigger monitor on the Win7 computer help?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
What happens if you run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode?
It crashes as soon as it opens. It is a program that needs some API modules to work properly but they are full of bugs to start with. At least on a real Win7 platform, it runs 99% of the time with no problem whereas Win 10, it won't do jack squat.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

@ Exdilbert, I might have to put the big monitor on the slower computer if that's what I'll have to do.

The program is called Aurora and it is a light sequencer and player. The guy that wrote the program decided to stop fixing the bugs in it so we are stuck on that front.

When you first run the program, it is in a zip file so you extract it wherever you want. Then when you run it, it goes "out" and gets the missing files on its own. So in reality, it could/should run on any windows platform just not Win 10.

For the other guys and their solution, I hope one of them will work. I will try everything that is free before I just build another computer just for sequencing. Each time I upgrade my computer, I always keep the older motherboards just in case I decide to build something new. It is an i7 compatible board with 16GB ram so it should be enough.

The program just is a resources hog especially when you cut and paste events and move them around....again due to the bugs in the program.

Keep the ideas coming. Really appreciate the help and when I find what I want, I will come back and tell you what I did and what worked.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-13, 01:20 PM
Veteran

I assume that alternative software has been considered. xLights is free and looks like it might be compatible.

A utility for exporting Aurora files is available here.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-14, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Alas, when Aurora needed beta testers, I was one of them. Now I have a version of Aurora which can't convert the sequences as it uses those stupid API modules.

I have given up trying stuff. I have tried Virtual Box (it doesn't like to run Aurora as it will throw a memory exception error at whatever address and close the virtual win 7 running inside the Virtual Box. I have tried with VMware as well, but it appears to me that even though it is virtual, the API's crash anyways. The only way to run Aurora, it seems without any problem, is with a dedicated computer running Window 7.

The program is actually called Aurora Borealis. Aurora is the sequencer and Borealis is the sequencer player. I used to have the sequencer on one computer (more powerful to sequence) and the player on another (not as powerful) computer and it runs ok.

So this is what I'm going to do. When I upgraded my powerful computer this year to an i7-7700K, I had Aurora running on my i7-4790K just fine. I was going to install that MB/CPU combo inside my home theatre PC but ran out of time. So I'll just leave the MB/CPU besides my monitor (4K TV) and have the basics installed and go from there. I am running out of time so this is the best and quickest way for me.

I was going to use XLights but life got in the way and ran out of time so I will use last years sequences and move stuff around inside of them. Maybe next year, Xlights will be for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.