Network app of some type - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-20, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I meant by splitter, having a network split (switch).
I didn't know I could use my other port other than #4 for internet. I just copied what ever I had read and if it worked, I left it alone.
Can't wait to get my switches as I can't even stream a movie from my own PC to my theatre. 600kbps transfer is not fast enough to stream an ATMOS 3D movie at all....

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 12:10 AM
Veteran

Daisy chaining is probably the worst way to do it. Connecting the switches to ports 2,3,4 on the main router might be a slight improvement. Reducing the number of switches to 2 would be better. The best way, by far, would be to use one larger switch to replace the current 3. In any case, using more than one switch requires some data analysis to reduce potential bottlenecks. Daisy chaining is not an issue if it doesn't create bottlenecks with normal use. If it does, then it may be necessary to reconfigure the network.

There are other ways to improve throughput with daisy chained switches such as using 10Gb switches (very expensive) or by using managed switches and bridging 2 ports to double the throughput between switches. That way a 1Gb device cannot saturate the link between switches.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Well for what I do, as long as it doesn't create problems, I'll go with what I bought. Having said that, I noticed improvements:

To start with, instead of Ont-Router-Switch-Switch-Switch-Router(repeater), I now have
Ont-Switch
|-Switch-Switch-Repeater

I did get my speeds between computers back to normal (Mega not Kilo) and it doesn't seem to lose connections either. Before, my main PC would connect and disconnect all the time. Now, all is good but next time I have a few minutes, I will put the switch that is behind another switch, right after the main router. Until then, it will have to do.

Many thanks for all the tips and help guys. I did label my wires (which was a nightmare) but at least, now I can unplug what I think might be a problem and have an easier time to troubleshoot.

That's what happens with the internet of things. Next, I'll need an internet connection for the toilet to let me know when we are out of TP! Too many internet dependent items in this world.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 02:17 PM
Veteran

^^^^
While a bit overkill for your network, here's how large hierarchical networks are configured. Think of your modem as the "core" layer. Then you use your switches as the next layer. As ExDilbert says, the better solution is to use 1 large switch, but this is fine for connecting multiple switches to a common point. Also, make sure the switches are not otherwise connected to each other, unless spanning tree protocol or equivalent is used by the switches. This is to prevent loops that may cause broadcast storms. It sounds like you might have had one.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 10:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
^^^^
While a bit overkill for your network, here's how large hierarchical networks are configured. Think of your modem as the "core" layer. Then you use your switches as the next layer. As ExDilbert says, the better solution is to use 1 large switch, but this is fine for connecting multiple switches to a common point. Also, make sure the switches are not otherwise connected to each other, unless spanning tree protocol or equivalent is used by the switches. This is to prevent loops that may cause broadcast storms. It sounds like you might have had one.
thanks JamesK. I will try it.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-22, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Well something had to happen because as soon as I redid the network, the one port that was flashing like crazy has stopped. Also, the box is running a lot cooler. The one that I replaced was almost brownish but used to be white. Something made it over heat, that's for sure.

When I setup my light show this year, I will keep the data off the network and just let my computer running the show as the "network" and keep everything else off of it. Computers, love them or hate them. I love them....but not happy when something that was running right for the longest time and then craps out all of a sudden.

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-22, 12:22 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I still suspect a loop. That will generate a lot of traffic and all that traffic might cause the heating.

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-23, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

^^^^
Well if there is, it isn't showing any of the symptoms I had earlier this week. The only flashing I see is whatever traffic going from my PC to the router. Other than that, all clear. Also my router log isn't full like this week either. Good enough for me!

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-23, 09:13 PM
Veteran

^^^^
In redoing your network, you may have removed the loop. Given that it works OK now, but not then shows you did something when you changed the network wiring.

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-24, 11:59 AM
Veteran

Some switches have loop detection and protection built in. From the limited information provided, it's difficult to determine what caused the extra traffic but I'm leaning toward either a faulty switch or a loop. Replacing the switches could have fixed either, or both.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-24, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Some switches have loop detection and protection built in
Spanning tree has been the "official" method for many years, but Shortest Path Bridging is the new standard. However, some brands have their own loop detection and protection. A TP-Link switch I have does that. However, a lot of low cost switches don't have anything. Those ones you have to be careful with.

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-24, 04:57 PM
Veteran

I'll vouch for that. I had a couple of unmanaged switches that were dumber than a dildo. Replaced them recently to prevent accidental loops that are surprising easy to create when configuring some devices.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-25, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Well I just did a speed test and it passed with flying colors....when just this past week, I had a hard time getting past 100Mbps and now, I'm back in the 700's! I'll setup a dummy network when I get a chance in the next week or so and try to see what switch was defective or if my setup, although it always worked, has had gremlins in it.

At least I know I'm back on track and bought lifetime warrantied switches so if it goes wonky again, away they go for replacement.

I hate when things like this happen but on the same token, I gain new experiences in networking. I'm not the best but far from the worst! LOL

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-08-26, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Replacing crappy Realtek motherboard NICs with Intel NICs can put that up to almost 1000 (over 100MB/s.) Cards based on Intel's older chip are about US$10 on eBay. They work well on Linux or Windows but Intel no longer updates drivers for Win10. Cards with the newer (supported) chip are about $40.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.