Leave Me Alone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Leave Me Alone

After a couple of years they have started again. Got a phone call yesterday from a bubbleheaded jerk who English was so bad that I only understood one word for every three spoken. It seems "Microsoft" has received a message that my computer has been infected with a nasty virus and he is here to help me. I cursed him out in no uncertain terms and told him to "pi$$ off". I also told him that Microsoft would not use people whose English is so bad to help people. I also told him that I have an Apple computer (I can lie too). sailmaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 09:35 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Yep, started a few days ago for me:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-551-241-5125

They never got through to me, but after the I saw the second call on my call display I typed the number into my search engine and it was confirmed by the link above. I immediately added the number to my call block.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 09:51 AM
Veteran

It's always fun to play them. I run Linux and when they say "Click on the Start button", I ask where's that, tell them I can't find it etc.
CamDAB likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 11:08 AM

Got one to hang up pretty quick the other day.

Told them sure, hold on. I will have to turn off the police call scanner thats running on my machine.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 12:13 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I have often let telemarketers get started on their spiel and then quitely put them on hold. I then wait to see how long it takes them to hang up.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 01:11 PM

W5 investigation: Inside an illegal call centre in India scamming millions from Canadians

This CTV W5 story covers the scammers from India. Big money for them, very little punishment if they are caught.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 08:36 AM
Veteran

My father got the call yesterday. When the guy mentioned "Windows" my father thought it was those "Windows and Doors" telemarketers, so he said to them He already had all the windows in his house replaced with new ones, but the guy interrupted him and said "NOOO, this is Microsoft Windows calling, about your computer" and then my dad knew it was a Scham and told the guy where to go.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
W5 investigation: Inside an illegal call centre in India scamming millions from Canadians

This CTV W5 story covers the scammers from India. Big money for them, very little punishment if they are caught.
The problem with those places is that the police are just as corrupt or worse. Canada can talk all they want, India will just turn around and scam another poor soul. I just wish I could get in their office when they have a poor elderly on the hook and they just toy with them. I would toy with them and it would lower the population by a few.

A-holes.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 07:21 PM
Veteran

When I was called by one of these guys I gave him a real computer problem and asked him to help me solve it. I think I had a screenshot of a blue-screen-of-death or a kernel panic.

So tell them that yes you have a nasty virus and you're so glad they called about it. Tell them that you can't get online and read-off some cryptic error message (google for a BSOD message if you need to).

When I did that the guy promptly hung up on me and I haven't been bothered by them since.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 11:18 PM

Or if they ask you to press any key, you ask him where is it as you can't see that key.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-22, 12:12 PM
Veteran

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-23, 10:41 AM

That's what I was thinking of!!
DSgamby likes this.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-23, 09:29 PM

I like asking them if they've accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior.

One of them started yelling at me that I was wasting his time.
CamDAB likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-23, 11:38 PM

I saw this on a TED talk a few months ago, but I'll paraphrase:

With VOIP, the phone calls they make are essentially free from anywhere in the world. So, the thing that costs them money is the people they employ at these call centres. If you waste their time, you waste their money; when one of these jokers calls me, I play very dumb for as long as I can keep it up (assuming I don't have something going on the stove).

WASTE THEIR TIME. If you hang up immediately, they move on. If they're on the phone with a person who's dicking them around for three minutes, that's three minutes they're not spending scamming someone else. I found that telling them over and over again things like, "No, I don't think so" or, "No, that doesn't sound right," really, REALLY frustrates them (and is pretty amusing to boot).

Same goes for "Canada Revenue Agency." They will only ever send you a letter; they'll never call you.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-04-24, 07:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Same goes for "Canada Revenue Agency." They will only ever send you a letter; they'll never call you.
They also don't sent Interac transfers. I've received a couple of those recently. They're phishing attempts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.