Windows10 discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Windows10 discussion

Preview to be announced on September 30
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/21/60...vent-september
and a public beta is expected beginning 2015.

So we'll get a chance to try (since it will be leaked the same day) the new Win9 next month...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 05:44 PM

Look forward to giving it a spin
post #3 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

I think there is a good chance it will do to Win8 what Win7 did to Vista...

post #4 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 11:34 PM

I agree with four, it will be more user friendly, Microsoft has got to catch up to what the consumer wants. More and more folks I know are migrating away from the old standard.
post #5 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 11:57 PM
Veteran

The return of the start menu on the desktop is what I want to see. Hopefully it will be improved somewhat, not gutted. I won't be sad to see the charms bar go either. It was a giant PITA on the desktop. I can't believe that MS missed the market so much with Win8. Once the start menu is put back and the charms bar is disabled, it's actually a decent OS. MS should have done that with Win8.1 but that might have cut into Win9 sales.
post #6 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-22, 09:30 AM

The original intent of Win8 was to provide a more controlled and secure environment that protect the user from virus and malware infection. The problem with that logic was that it needed the equivalent modern/metro apps, to replace the desktop versions for the heavy desktop user. That was an unrealistic outlook. It was doable for the average email and browser user (smartphone and Chromebook is sufficient for that).

Not satisfying the hardcore desktop users pissed them off and created no end of bad publicity which trickled down to the average user.

I am a moderate desktop user and really like Win8.1. I was ok with Win8, installed ClassicShell, and was not the least bit concerned about the lack of a start menu from MS. Since upgrading to Win8.1 I have removed ClassicShell and am quite happy with the TaskBar and Metro Start and Search.

The only Win9 feature, that I am aware of, that might be nice is running a modern app on a window on the desktop, but that is not a big deal for me. I switch apps quickly and easily either by a swipe or Alt-Tab.

I am in the minority but I think MS got a lot of bad and unnecessary publicity for Win8. Since Win8 came out I have purchased two laptops and did not consider (for even a moment) getting them with Win7. Just loving my sub 30 second boot and instant resume time.
post #7 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-22, 09:32 AM
Veteran

I just hope that Windows 9 will allow addon installation for NHL09. Windows 8 does not. Vista and Windows 7, just needs UAC to be turned off and computer restarted, then install the addons for addons to be installed properly.
post #8 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-22, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bplayer View Post
...I think MS got a lot of bad and unnecessary publicity for Win8.
I second that.
But this is most likely the XP mentality and is understandable...

Desktop users - what Windows was all about for decades - is the opposite of Android/iOS users.
They are not really looking for an overhaul (of anything!) every weekend.
And this, I think, is the reason they were irked by the "tiles".

And the very incremental improvements Win8 made compared to Win7 was the last drop that ruled out the upgrade cycle...
post #9 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-22, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
I just hope that Windows 9 will allow addon installation for NHL09. Windows 8 does not. Vista and Windows 7, just needs UAC to be turned off and computer restarted, then install the addons for addons to be installed properly.
There is something seriously, seriously broken in add-on if it, indeed, requires UAC to be turned off. Shouldn't running installation "as administrator" negate the need to turn UAC off?
post #10 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-22, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Simply put. Addons for NHL09 when they get installed create a backup that UAC will not allow because the the filetype. Running as an admin doesn't work as it has been tried. You need the addon installer program and a program that does the backup for the game to work. It is just easier and quicker to just have UAC turned off. Once the addon is installed. UAC can be turned back on. Just got to turn it back off when you want to install another addon.
post #11 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-24, 02:37 AM
tux

^ A lot of older programs won't work with UAC because they store settings files in the Program Files folders, and UAC makes Program Files read-only. I used to have Accpac installed for my accounting studies - it had to be run as admin each and every time or the data would be corrupted because it wasn't UAC compatible. Thankfully, I no longer need to use that software.

As far as NHL09, as it's already 6 years old, and older even than Windows 7, I doubt if it will be made compatible with Win9.
post #12 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-24, 02:48 AM
Veteran

I know. It is just easier for me since a lot of people at a hockey video game forum that I am part of. People can't get addons installed in NHL09. If Windows 9 can work with addons installed. If need be. I can get a new computer.

I wonder if installing the game or program to a different folder like C:\NHL09 would work.
post #13 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-24, 03:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The only Win9 feature, that I am aware of, that might be nice is running a modern app on a window on the desktop
Already doable in Win8 with ModernMix from Stardock for US$4.99. Haven't tried it but I do use Start8 from Stardock and it works well.
post #14 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-24, 09:45 AM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bplayer
... I am a moderate desktop user and really like Win8.1. ... I am in the minority but I think MS got a lot of bad and unnecessary publicity for Win8. ... Just loving my sub 30 second boot and instant resume time.
+1. My primary device at home is my Vista-equipped desktop. Last year, I bought a laptop with W8 on it, and although I was a bit thrown off by it at first, after a short learning curve it was "business as usual". I'd be happy with a W9 that's not too far removed from W8.
post #15 of 551 (permalink) Old 2014-08-24, 12:07 PM
Veteran

I run a program that gets rid of that hotspot (Charms bar) nonsense so W9 is already ahead in that area. Don't really miss the start menu any more but more options for customizing the start screen would be welcome. Still a bit incredulous that in 2014, the Open and Save file dialogs are still poorly functional as ever but I don't expect that to change in W9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.