Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Windows10 discussion

74K views 552 replies 72 participants last post by  habskilla 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The return of the start menu on the desktop is what I want to see. Hopefully it will be improved somewhat, not gutted. I won't be sad to see the charms bar go either. It was a giant PITA on the desktop. I can't believe that MS missed the market so much with Win8. Once the start menu is put back and the charms bar is disabled, it's actually a decent OS. MS should have done that with Win8.1 but that might have cut into Win9 sales.

#6 ·
The original intent of Win8 was to provide a more controlled and secure environment that protect the user from virus and malware infection. The problem with that logic was that it needed the equivalent modern/metro apps, to replace the desktop versions for the heavy desktop user. That was an unrealistic outlook. It was doable for the average email and browser user (smartphone and Chromebook is sufficient for that).

Not satisfying the hardcore desktop users pissed them off and created no end of bad publicity which trickled down to the average user.

I am a moderate desktop user and really like Win8.1. I was ok with Win8, installed ClassicShell, and was not the least bit concerned about the lack of a start menu from MS. Since upgrading to Win8.1 I have removed ClassicShell and am quite happy with the TaskBar and Metro Start and Search.

The only Win9 feature, that I am aware of, that might be nice is running a modern app on a window on the desktop, but that is not a big deal for me. I switch apps quickly and easily either by a swipe or Alt-Tab.

I am in the minority but I think MS got a lot of bad and unnecessary publicity for Win8. Since Win8 came out I have purchased two laptops and did not consider (for even a moment) getting them with Win7. Just loving my sub 30 second boot and instant resume time.

#8 ·
...I think MS got a lot of bad and unnecessary publicity for Win8.
I second that.
But this is most likely the XP mentality and is understandable...

Desktop users - what Windows was all about for decades - is the opposite of Android/iOS users.
They are not really looking for an overhaul (of anything!) every weekend.
And this, I think, is the reason they were irked by the "tiles".

And the very incremental improvements Win8 made compared to Win7 was the last drop that ruled out the upgrade cycle...

#10 ·
Simply put. Addons for NHL09 when they get installed create a backup that UAC will not allow because the the filetype. Running as an admin doesn't work as it has been tried. You need the addon installer program and a program that does the backup for the game to work. It is just easier and quicker to just have UAC turned off. Once the addon is installed. UAC can be turned back on. Just got to turn it back off when you want to install another addon.

#11 ·
^ A lot of older programs won't work with UAC because they store settings files in the Program Files folders, and UAC makes Program Files read-only. I used to have Accpac installed for my accounting studies - it had to be run as admin each and every time or the data would be corrupted because it wasn't UAC compatible. Thankfully, I no longer need to use that software.

As far as NHL09, as it's already 6 years old, and older even than Windows 7, I doubt if it will be made compatible with Win9.

#14 ·
Bplayer said:
... I am a moderate desktop user and really like Win8.1. ... I am in the minority but I think MS got a lot of bad and unnecessary publicity for Win8. ... Just loving my sub 30 second boot and instant resume time.
+1. My primary device at home is my Vista-equipped desktop. Last year, I bought a laptop with W8 on it, and although I was a bit thrown off by it at first, after a short learning curve it was "business as usual". I'd be happy with a W9 that's not too far removed from W8.

#15 ·
I run a program that gets rid of that hotspot (Charms bar) nonsense so W9 is already ahead in that area. Don't really miss the start menu any more but more options for customizing the start screen would be welcome. Still a bit incredulous that in 2014, the Open and Save file dialogs are still poorly functional as ever but I don't expect that to change in W9.

#16 ·
I didn't mind Windows 8.x overall but the modern mail program really ticked me off! Can't add another e-mail as an attachment. (Probably Outlook spoiled that way) Then when I tried to print it to a .PDF and attach that instead, it wouldn't work and would print out a page of garbage. Had to print to .xps first then from the desktop open the .xps and print to PDF. A Real PITA. If they are going to bolt another modern O/S or interface on top of the desktop O/S at least they could do is ensure they interact with each other properly. I hope those types of improvements under the hood are made as well.

#18 ·
I don't use any of the modern apps on Win8.1. I also rarely see the modern start screen on my main system. It's set up to work exactly like Win7. (I have a couple of HTPCs that boot to the modern start screen but that makes sense since I use a remote control with them.) For email I use Thunderbird. It's very similar to Outlook but without the high cost.

#19 ·
For simplicity I use some modern apps (Twitter, Calendar, Weather, Bing News, TuneIn, Fiction Book Reader, plus some games), and switch easily between Start screen and Desktop which is just like switching between traditional apps. I have Office 365 which includes Outlook, but use Thunderbird in imap mode with my outllook.com email id.

For me this is the best of both worlds.

#20 ·
I'm an IT professional of 20 years. Networks, firewalls, servers, desktops, mobile devices, storage, UNIXes, Windows, etc. Eight years of personal computer experience as a kid. Programming background (first language besides BASIC was C which I self taught.) I don't do much programming anymore but I can shell script with the best of them. I've used a wide variety of command lines and GUIs on different platforms. DOS + DesqView/GeoWorks, Windows 1/2/3+desktop shell replacements/95/98/NT35/NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7, Linux with KDE/GNOME/E, Solaris with CDE, OpenBSD & FreeBSD, Mac OS <=9 & X, OS/2 2/3/4. The only major platform I can think of that I didn't have any direct experience with was Amiga.

WINDOWS 8!!! :mad:

I had to set up my nephews Win8 laptop at Christmas. The amount of quiet cursing (my nephew and nieces were there after all!) I did that afternoon was beyond belief. The amount of time wasted as the interface flipped between different screens as I tried to find stuff, the ugly flat interface and I actually had to Google how to shut down the damn thing after spending ten minutes trying to figure that out!! For a desktop experience there was absolutely nothing intuitive about using it.

Microsoft should have had both desktop and touch screen modes available defaulting to the desktop on PCs (unless ordered otherwise) and touch screen on tablets.

I love the under the hood changes made to Win8 and Server 2012 but they screwed the pooch on the UI.

#25 ·
27" touchscreen PCs aren't exactly in lottery money territory.

You can get them for ~$1,500. I just checked, at the HP Envy Recline 27" is ~$1450 at Future Shop. You're the one who added the 27" requirement, btw. If you can get by with 23", you can get all-in-one PCs at under half that price.

#26 ·
Love or hate windows 8, it is faster than fast. I find myself using the start menu less and less. But the metro apps I use, I love. I usually just end up having a loaded task bar now, which is not a big deal since I auto hide it on my laptop anyway.
Would be nice to have the option of a couple live tiles on the desktop and a tile based windows 7 start menu. And keep the right click left click thing.
Problem is the window 8 start menu works so well with a touch screen or HTPC setup, hopefully they keep it, and just makes so mods to keep the desktop and laptop people happy. I have tablets, but don't see myself giving up my laptop or desktop anytime soon.

#29 ·
I am waiting until Windows 9 comes out next year. However I just have one question, I have Office 2007 that came with the computer when I bought it. How do I keep Office 2007 when I upgrade O/S from Vista? It has to be a fresh install (no upgrading), and I have did the Windows Upgrade Website scan, so I know what I need to do with the other stuff on my HD.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.