Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Best bang for a projector and screen?

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Danster 
#1 ·
My son and his girlfriend are looking to get a projector and screen. They currently don't have a tv and don't plan to watch tv. They're mostly into blu-ray movies. I see Costco carries Epson and Optoma : http://www.costco.ca/projectors.html

Can anyone offer a bit of advice as to what would be a good set-up? I'm thinking they'd like to keep it around $1500.
TKS

#9 ·
I have a w1060 Benq as I had no need for 3d and I painted my wall grey for the screen. Cost me $1,000 all in.

I am now on my second bulb on the Benq and the first 1 lasted 7000 hours, I changed it before it was totally caput, probably could have gotten a few more hours out of it, but it was getting pretty dim.

#12 · (Edited)
I see there are about 15 Benq MW526 WXGA (1280 x 800) DLP 3D projectors from the Pan Am games up for auction on Govdeals.ca, all starting at $200...and no bids.

I did not see any of these in action, and so have no idea of the quality, but the specs aren't too bad, and it has a 3200 Lumens, 10,000 hour lamp.
Amazon is selling them for $525.

If you win, you pick them up beside the International Centre on Airport Rd., just in time for the Jays playoff game!!

#13 ·
That's more suited for business use rather than home theatre. Since the OP specifically mentioned Blu-Ray viewing, anything less than 1080p would be rather pointless for a projector (not to mention a 720p signal would also be interpolated - meaning quality would suffer even more)

#15 ·
Hi, I don't mean to hi jack the thread but I'm looking at projectors too. I unfortunately just damaged my LED tv so I'm looking at a replacement. I could just get another one, but with young kids and my dumb ass all I'm looking at projectors. I use for gaming, PS2 (component), PS3, and PS4 via hdmi through a receiver. Movies of course. Costco has the Acer H6510BD with a screen for $800. You guys mentioned NCIX which shows that model as the 2nd popular projector (without screen though). I'm trying to keep my budget to around the fore mentioned $800 if possible.

I have a fairly dark basement to use, so light isn't a problem. Also, is there another way of mounting the projector instead of from the ceiling? Or is that optimum? I'm just imagining the HDMI run from the ceiling, around the furniture to the receiver. Thanks for any help.

#16 ·
I have that projector. You can have it either ceiling or table. But you mention kids so table would not be a good solution. ;)

You can also mount on a wall have have the picture reflected back to the screen using some kind of mirror.

#18 ·
What is a decent screen? I'm limited to about 50" in height so could maybe fit a 100 inch but am thinking somewhat smaller. Maybe 94. But are the screens on Amazon good enough? Is 1.1 gain decent?

Trying to decide to replace my plasma that has died and thinking, maybe a projector. The room is pretty dark and about 12' X 24', but I've got it split in half so the couch is about 12' from where the screen would be. Thinking of the W1070.

#19 ·
I have bought an Elite screen from Amazon and I am very happy with it. It is the 135inch but I have only one word of advice: Don't believe the time they say it takes to setup. It is hogwash.

Maybe it can be done in 30 minutes if you install them 20 times a day.....:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.