Hi Folks. I have concluded my dealings with Sony. I Settled for a KDL46W5100 for $200.
After numerous calls and emails I sent this last email to "firstname.lastname@example.org" and CC'd the president of Sony Canada and the CEO of Sony USA . I attached a BBB complaint, 2 bylaws from the "Consumer's Protection Act" (38 and 39) as well as a few cases from small claims court. I did not want the 46EX500 because it will only be available end of Feb. I did not want this email to go to cust service. The same people keep getting it. Here is the context of my email:
"Please forward this to your claims / customer Service Manager
Dear Sir / Madame
Please note that after numerous emails and phone conversations Sony has not been able to come up with a fair resolution in regards to my melting burnt KF4WE610 TV. I discovered that Sony has manufactured LCD rear-projection HD TVs with widespread latent defects regarding the melting and optical block problems. I discovered that Sony also had an extended warranty for damage to parts surrounding the projection lamps on all 2003 Grand WEGA models and the WE"" versions of the 2004 Grand WEGA models. Although my problem (melting TV) is technically not an optical block problem, it plagues the same set of models and clearly arises from the same cause--excessive heat from the projection lamp. The heat from the lamp can cause the lamp access door, as well as other parts, including the main chassis, to become warped, cracked, and/or scorched as can be seen in my photos."
I unknowingly purchased one of these defective TVs. I had registered with Sony and they have not contacted me on this issue. From what I read Sony has been unwilling or unable to repair or replace the defective TV for other Sony owners, thereby breaching warranties and violating consumer protection laws." In theory, I could ask for the original purchase price of the TV plus in many provinces, court costs if need be.
The average lifespan of an LCD display is 60,000 hours. If I watched TV for 24 hours a day, it would take me almost 7 years to wear out my LCD display. With more normal viewing habits of 6 hours per day, you can extend the lifespan of your TV by 20 years or more (to about 27 years). Every summer my family and I reside in the country for 2 months from which I commute to work. During this time our TV is not turned on even once. If we were around during the summers I am sure I would have come across the burnt TV sooner and fell within the 5 yr extended warranty. Using the 6 hours per day viewing habits and excluding the summers we have enjoyed our TV for only approximately 9,720 hours or 4.4 years out of a potential 27 years. That is only 16.3% leaving me with 83.7% unused TV usage. This results in a $2,500 shortfall ($3,000 X 83.7%).
Note that Sony has offered me a KDLEX400 for $350 which is selling for $899 in the US. They then offered me a KDLEX500 for $650 which is selling for $1,100 in the US. I asked them to fix my KF2WE610 but they indicated there are no parts resulting in Sony violating consumer protection laws in Quebec.
I am asking you to provide me with the KDLEX500 at no cost.
All I want is a fair resolution. I have always purchased Sony and will continue to do so. Your products have always been good to me except for this one time."
The next day I got a phone call from the top customer care manager out of the presidents office. Through her we negotiated this resolution. The next day I got an email from the BBB indicating that this issue was resolved. Sony contacted them immediately. The BBB web site is https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx
Please do not use this email as a bargaining tool. Be persistent and work your way up the hierarchy. Ask for the supervisor first and quote the bylaws and the small claims court decisions. If that doesn't work send an email like I did.
That's it for me. Be patient and persistent