Cory's Basement Project **Opinions Please** - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-02-12, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Cory's Basement Project **Opinions Please**

I have been a long time site visiter but have only been a member for a short while.

I purchased a new home and I have been blessed with an unfinished basement. I have been thinking a lot about home theatre construction and I would like some opinions and ideas for my play room and proper sound accoustics.

I have the oportunity to build a theatre room but I entertain a lot and I like the open concept party room where people playing pool can watch tv.

My concern is the size of my room and how to set up speakers. I would like to upgrade my current psb speakers to something a little more powerful.

I have a 72' Toshiba that fits perfectly in the wall cut out (same as main level where the tv is currently) and I would like to keep it there.

I was thinking of running some in ceiling speakers for my rear surround and 7.1 surround but I don't know if that's my best option. I have the oportunity to hide wiring and I would like a clean install.

Any tips, different ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have attached a blank canvas for your own personalization.

My Components:

TV -Toshiba Cinema Series 72MX195
Toshiba HD DVD Player
Receiver - Yamaha HTR 6090 Receiver
Speakers - To be determined

Last edited by frontside720; 2008-02-12 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Adding a picture
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-02-12, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Pardon my poor renderings.

____________________________________________________________ ____________

Last edited by frontside720; 2008-02-12 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Formatting
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-02-12, 04:34 PM
Checkout my set up under WestWoods theater.
If you're interested , the row seating might be a good idea for your space and have the entertaining area behind the seating similar to what I did.

Tramps like us...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-02-12, 05:06 PM
I would suggest mounting the surround on either walls and the rear on the ceiling. Thats what I will be doing in mine 'Paul's Home Theater Construction'.
What about the AV Rack?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-02-12, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Thanks for the tips.

I will check out your threads.

I was thinking of in walls for the sides but they aren't very center and I would want to make sure the sound would remain consistent. I know I can play with the levels of each speaker but you need to draw a line somewhere when your far from the wall.

I'll have to review some info on surround side distance and centering for more info.

As for the AV rack, I haven't decided. My tv has a matching stand and everything fits on it perfectly. I could make a built in rack for esthetics but it's really not needed and my front stand would look pretty empty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.