Remote Control Lighting Suggestions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 2004-09-12, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

@badkarma,

I assume you are talking about the regular stock Spacer dimmer that is about $65 at HD. Let me know if you are able to control this with your Harmony.

I still haven't sorted myself out yet but the regular Spacers are an option.

2x$65 = $130 plus tx (but I would have to move my dimmers 'cuz they are around the corner from the couch)

vs.

2 x $94 (special order Spacer System dimmers) + $165 (5 scene Master control) = $353 plus tx (this would mean I could do scenes plus have a master wall switch near the couch)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 2004-09-13, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbolter
@badkarma,

I assume you are talking about the regular stock Spacer dimmer that is about $65 at HD. Let me know if you are able to control this with your Harmony.

I still haven't sorted myself out yet but the regular Spacers are an option.

2x$65 = $130 plus tx (but I would have to move my dimmers 'cuz they are around the corner from the couch)

vs.

2 x $94 (special order Spacer System dimmers) + $165 (5 scene Master control) = $353 plus tx (this would mean I could do scenes plus have a master wall switch near the couch)
I got the Spacer single dimmer at HD for around 67$CAN. I checked a few forums online and people have been able to get their lutron spacer dimmers to work with their harmony with a web update or something. I don't have a harmony yet, gonna wait for the 676.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 2004-09-13, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker
You might find a strategically placed mirror will bounce the I.R. back at the dimmer for you.

Or you could use one of those pyrimid shaped I.R. extender deals.
Hmmm, that's a good idea. I might try that.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 2004-09-19, 07:43 PM
dc

I just saw this in the October 5, 2004 issue of PC Magazine. It's the Sylvania Z-Wave wireless home automation system. It uses a fully wireless "908.4 MHz, UPnP-compliant mesh-networking protocol". It doesn't use existing household wiring like the X10 devices. Each modual can also act as a repeater so range is "virtually" unlimited. A starter kit includes two dimmable lamp modules and a handheld controller and retails for US$140. Don't know if/where you can get it in Canada though. http://www.smarthome.com/1129.HTML
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 06:46 AM

The Logitech Harmony 890 (US only, not on CA page) is RF and says it controls lighting and appliances

from webpage... Integrate up to 15 devices—including lighting and household appliances.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10930
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 2006-01-28, 08:22 AM

I have the Harmony 880 and the Lutron IR dimmer from the HD, and can tell you it works perfectly.
The 880 is custom programmed via Logitech's web site.
Set up was as easy as typing in the make and model of the light switch in a setup wizard.
But... because they all use the same IR commands you wont be able to use multiple dimmers in the same room. (No individual control).

58" Samsung B850 Plasma, Bell Fibe, Denon 2809, Paradigm Speakers, Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray, Harmony 900, Nintendo wii
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 2006-02-07, 12:31 PM

Hi fricfrac,
Do you remember what model number you used for the Lutron dimmer when you configured your remote. I have one already installed but don't have the part number.

Thanks
Cam

PN50A530, Cogeco cable 6412 PVR, Onkyo TX-DS595, B&W Speakers, Harmony 880, Sony BDPS350
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 2006-02-07, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

This old thread seems to be getting bumped a little since it was moved to the new Home Automation forum...

So just to give an update, I went with the X10 dimmers with the IR receiver. It works well but I can't really do scenes, when I try to program a slow dim by having my Harmony send the 'dim' command for 2-3 seconds it does not work properly. I just have the remote send an all-off command when I power up my home theatre followed by an on command for the bank of lights behind the sofa. Then I adjust the banks accordingly based on time of date etc.

But for the price this was a good solution that continues to work well for me.

I have not priced anything recently. If the Lutron dimmers were to come down a little I might upgrade.

Last edited by dogbolter; 2006-02-07 at 01:47 PM.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 2006-02-07, 04:41 PM

CamG, the model# I used is MIR-600THW-WH-C
Hope it helps.

58" Samsung B850 Plasma, Bell Fibe, Denon 2809, Paradigm Speakers, Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray, Harmony 900, Nintendo wii
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 2006-02-11, 01:31 PM

fricfrac.... it's working like a charm now.... this is so cool

Thank you for the help.

Cam

PN50A530, Cogeco cable 6412 PVR, Onkyo TX-DS595, B&W Speakers, Harmony 880, Sony BDPS350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.