Toshiba 51" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-21, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Toshiba 51"

Slightly off topic but I was very interested in the 51" model. I recently saw one on display a Future Shop. I realize that this (and other models) needs to be calibrated, but the problem I saw was that when viewing this model I noticed that for an optimum viewing situation you have to look dead on centre to the screen. In reality I don't often watch my TV this way. I am usually off centre and a bit below the screen to view a show. This really deterred me from looking to buy this unit. I noticed that the overall brightness went way down when viewing this set from either side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-21, 09:48 AM
Veteran

All rear-projection sets are like this and Toshiba is nowhere near the worse in this respect.

Since LCD and DLP based designs are so much brighter, less 'focusing' of the light is necessary, so they have a wider viewing angle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-21, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Johnny. I new this off center viewing buisness used to be a problem (in the 90's) I thought this problem was largely taken care of with rear projection sets. Now my brother in law has a 43" RCA and this lower quality non HDTV capable set doesn't seem to suffer greatly from this problem. Oh well I guess I will now focus (get it) on a projector. Anything under 3k that you would reccomend. :roll:
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-21, 12:13 PM
dc

You don't necessarily need to get a front projector. The problem you describe is with CRT based RPTV's. As JG said, DLP and LCD RPTV's don't suffer the viewing angle problem for the most part.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-22, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Angelfish, this is one of those things that always seems much more severe in the showroom than it would ever at home. In the showroom, you're typically only a few feet away from the TV, so when you look at the picture from the side, the actual viewing angle is very extreme and not likely to be replicated in a typical home setting.

Yes, the picture looks best head-on, but it doesn't disappear altogether when viewed at an angle. It just doesn't look as good.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-22, 01:54 PM

I routinely watch my set (42H82) from a position that is probably on about a 45 degree viewing angle, and it looks just as bright as if i'm viewing straight on.

The only time I really notice the light level decline is if I'm standing up while watching, which I don't do too often.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-22, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys

I have been reading up on the Toshiba's for quite some time. I've been to Johnny's web site (while it existed) many times. I realize that a show room floor is not the most optimum site to view these monitors at thier best. I was just looking for obvious flaws becuse ultimately I would have to convince my wife on the TV/Monitor. Johnny I was close to comming into the shop to check one out but as circumstances played out I guess buisiness wasn't very good :-?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2004-07-23, 11:47 PM

I was worried about the viewing angle of CRT RPTV's as well. But in reality it turned out to not be a big deal. I measured up my room at home, including the location, angle, and distances of the couches. When I mimic'ed the conditions at various stores, I found that the viewing angle was fine. And one of my couches is noticibly off to the side and at a significant angle. Definitely try this yourself. That is the best way to answer your question. I went with a hitachi ultravision and don't have this problem. I was impressed with the viewing angle of the TV.

Hope this helps.

kw..........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.