Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Is Saying a Car Receives SiriusXM false advertising??

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  CorSter 
#1 ·
In Canada don't you hate hearing car commercials that state a certain vehicle has SiriusXM, as if it is one system? Isn't this actually FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

The new consumer has no idea that Sirius and XM are 2 totally different products with only the music being merged and no hope of hearing sports and news from the other half of the merged company.

Shouldn't the advertiser be required to state that a car has either Sirius or XM, and not both?

Comments?

#3 ·
If its a local dealer ad, it does not surprise me they don't know the difference between XM and Sirius.

I just bought a new car and when looking at one of the GM dealers they were trying to tell me that Onstar was Satellite telephone service and not cell service. They even went in back and "confirmed" with the sales manager they were correct.

If they don't know how Onstar works I don't doubt they don't know the difference between XM and Sirius.

#4 ·
The last time I checked, my payment for my Sirius subscription is made to SiriusXM Canada so no it is not false advertising. The vehicle has a system that can recieve programming produced by SiriusXM what is wrong in saying that?

#5 ·
Just saw a Chrysler commercial on CTV Maritimes stating that all Chrysler cars have a SiriusXM radio. Unless that radio is the new one that receives both Sirius and XM (and we all know that it won't be) then it is not a SiriusXM radio. It is either a Sirius one (or an XM one) and will only receive programs from one of the providers. It doesn't matter what the name of the company is that owns the system, the programing is only from one or the other (Sirius or XM), at this point in time.

How are you enjoying listening to NHL and MLB games with your Sirius subscription?

#9 ·
That's not incorrect, per-se. Some Chrysler Vehicles now have 2.0 platform radios, which has been introduced in the US as the company's third platform under the name of SiriusXM (if you go to the US website and go to the Plans or the Channel Guide section, you'll notice the dropdown box has a choice of, Sirius, XM, or SiriusXM).

The 2.0 platform uses XM infrastructure, but it's distinct from XM in that it uses a newer compression and modulation standard, and as such it has access to channels not available with "Sirius" or "XM".

Some of the 2.0 radios are being sold up here right now as XM, but I would not be surprised to see the "SiriusXM" platform introduced up here when the packages are revamped in October.

#6 ·
Considering that I think baseball is one of the most boring sports played and don't care about hockey too much, I really enjoy my SiriusXM subscription. Nothing better when I do me twice monthly 16 hour drives to and from work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.