Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOSED � Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.3

82K views 407 replies 70 participants last post by  downbeat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.3

This will be the place to discuss all things generally Gateway once everyone is updated to this new code. I received it last night and will now have to play with it to see what we got.

=====

OTHER USEFUL THREADS

Fixes & issues
If you're having a problem with the Shaw Gateway, please see if it has already been reported before posting. (This is a running list. Not a discussion thread.)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1324303

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

Installation and setup
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145834

Programming universal Harmony remote for use with Gateway
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1331570

See less See more
#223 ·
7.0.4 should be out in the next couple of weeks (I heard a date but it could still change so I won't post it) and the RJ45 jack will only be an alternate way to connect a Portal to the Gateway, nothing more. It has never been intended to allow network communication for any other devices and will not actually be a 'supported' method for connecting a Portal to the Gateway as Shaw doesn't want to become 'wired network technicians', I believe.

#224 ·
Another question is what is the hold-up with the Android & iPhone apps for remote management? Telus Optik has had the ability for over a year now and I sure miss that feature. Maybe instead of their name being Shaw Cable, it should be Slow Cable.

On a side note, anyone else noticing issues with HGTV on HD? Periodically the PQ is so bad/pixelated that it's unbearable.

#225 · (Edited)
I'm thinking that one of the reasons for the hold-up on the new features like smartphone apps is their struggle with bugs and slow functionality of some existing features. I realize not everyone is encountering the outstanding issues but many still are. Another reason, as has been stated earlier in the thread, is their struggle to integrate the separate networks Shaw uses which seems to be a requirement for some of these new features.

On the PQ side, I've noticed an increase in frequency of the intermitent video problems with dropouts/pixelization on a number of channels lately but not specifically HGTV (History is one that comes to mind). I agree that when this does happen, it can often be bad for a good chunk of a recorded show making it basically unwatchable.

#226 ·
the ppv error occurred again last night. I ordered UFC and it wouldn't let me tune to the channel. Every other channel would work except the ppv one broadcasting the UFC event. I had to bring out my old moto dcx3400 again.

This happened to me on june 9th -- the pacquiao/bradley fight -- as well. Both times were after the 7.0.3 update. Prior to this update, I never had an issue ordering fights on the gateway.

#227 ·
I have been getting some random freezes. Watching a channel and then it will just freeze, the portal responds to inputs but I can't get it to un-freeze. I have to change channels before it restores to normal.

I thought at first it was just a one off glitch however; it has happened 4 times seemingly at random intervals.

#228 ·
I've been getting the "freezing" as well... when it happens to me it looks like the show has been paused (although without the staus bar) and also seems to happen right at the hour or half hour mark on the clock. I've been able to get through it by pausing and un-pausing. The last few times its happened to me was during the CTV news, it would stick at 5:30 and then again at 6.

#230 ·
Looking fwd to the 7.0.4 update. I have it on good authority that the ethernet jacks will allow full communication to the gateway. Network analysis of ppl running 7.0.4 show full communication from a server in the basement connected to the gateway being able to connect to a laptop plugged into the RJ45 in the portal.

#233 ·
Everything I have been told is this won't be possible but I too hope that it is. However, I am not expecting it to be possible because I have been told categorically that it won't be possible, at least not anytime soon and certainly not in the next update which should be out in the next week or so.

#235 ·
i dont care about being able to use the gateway system case a connection for a computer to connect to the interenet. how about just fix the basic problem like not having to reboot the system every few days or to even have the guide appear on screen in a timely matter and not to change into black boxes with no inforamtion even after he had already displayed what was on.

#236 ·
Sounds to me like you have a installation problem or perhaps a bad piece of hardware Zippy

Neither I nor any of my 7 neighbors are having any issues at all.
In fact I have only rebooted my gateway once,...even then I dont think it was required..
The guide does take a few seconds (not hours) to show, but I have learned to just not use it.
Press menu and go to "Channels" that guide works best..

#237 ·
I Agree...Guide Issues

I agree, my biggest complaint is the verrrrrry slow and buggy Guide. Fix that and I may actually use the Gateway for my tv viewing instead of just for the purpose of recording multiple shows at once and watching them later. I don't even go near it for live tv at the moment. I believe Jetranger did mention that the next update had a guide fix which appeared to work so here's hoping!

Cheers

tttinbc

#238 ·
I just hope there are fixes for both the responsiveness and the "record only new" function not working properly.

My old Pace box work just fine using this feature. The Gateway simply records nothing when I tried it.

currently, I have to record all these shows I've seen just to delete them.

#239 ·
I'm pretty sure that's a guide info issue and not the Gateway's fault. It has to do with the bad info being entered by whoever is providing the guide data. It's a long running issue and Shaw really needs to get their poop grouped with that.

OT but I think this needs to be said here: I think there is a big market there for someone to provide a more accurate source for this data if you could only get cable companies to buy it. I hate having to set 'accept repeats' as a 'default' just so I can see the 'new' episodes of shows like American Chopper. It means I get all of the old ones as well as the 'new' ones that are already marked as 'repeat' because they have showed in the US before they showed in Canada. It's ridiculous that the CRTC doesn't regulate the accuracy of the guide data yet they manage to control everything else.

#257 ·
OT but I think this needs to be said here: I think there is a big market there for someone to provide a more accurate source for this data if you could only get cable companies to buy it.
I'm still using a TiVo and their guide data (Tribune Media, if I'm not mistaken) has none of the problems you mention. I swear that the first company to offer a TiVo-branded HD PVR will have my business. I'm not holding my breath (but I am holding on to my SD TiVo).

#241 ·
My Shaw Internet modem and my router are in my office on the main floor. I have a Cat5 cable going to the basement TV with my Xbox360 and Gateway. It is a simple change to connect the Gateway to my LAN after the 7.0.4 update. Have been waiting for DLNA and LAN for 6 months...

#242 ·
I'll agree with the guide inaccuracy of new/repeats being quite annoying. I often review the scheduled to record list and like to cancel recordings for shows I know we have seen. However, if I cancel the recording scheduled at one time, the Gateway often still ends up recording the episode. At first I thought this was a bug but now I believe it is picking another timeslot, if available, after I cancel the first timeslot. I don't want to have to cancel multiple timeslots of an episode so I end up having to let it record then delete it which seems like a waste to me. It would be better if the Gateway would treat a canceled recording the same as if an episode was recorded and deleted and not record another timeslot of the program. I believe the Motorola pvr does it this way.

#243 ·
amorak, I hate to say you are wrong but I have it on good authority that NO ONE has DLNA enabled in their home, test group, employee, executive, whatever. So, either your source is feeding you misinformation intentionally or they are messing with the system outside of Shaw's control.

The problem with 'IP' communication is the Gateway uses a separate sub network from the regular internet so it's not as simple as enabling the jack in the portal and plugging in your computer or other network device. You will be very disappointed when they finally do enable DLNA, not with 7.0.4 but hopefully soon after, and they you will see what I mean.

#244 ·
I really dislike these very annoying weekly reboots. Is there not a better way? Every Thursday I get a 5102 error while watching a recorded show because the system reboots. (It was 9:30 AM.) I am forced to hit "Live" before I can access my recorded shows again. Otherwise it continues to throw up a 5102 error.

Also, I've noticed that in my guide, SD channels really get effected by the "blank line o'doom" issue. I leave my TV on Shaw's local channel 4 for the local temp. When I select the guide, both it, and G4 are missing, at least for a short time if not until I use "Page up/down".

#248 ·
I wouldnt be surprized if that was the case, but I would be dissapointed and seeking some compensation as the "future abilites" of the Gateway system was one of the main reasons I bought in..
DLNA and Wifi were on that list...
It would seem to me, that the gateway itself is too underpowered to accomplish even the common tasks well. (guide, PVR functions, channel changes ect)
At least, not as well as most legacy systems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.