Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Galaxy S3 for Wind ?

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TorontoColin 
#1 ·
Anyone know if this S3 will work on Wind?

Also would you buy it over Nexus ?

Thanks

#2 ·
The announced version does not include the AWS band on HSPA needed for Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron. There will probably be a T-Mobile variant which will include that support though.

Personally, I'd buy the Galaxy Nexus because it's significantly cheaper, gets the Android updates faster, is available right now, and is only nominally lower powered.

#4 ·
Coming to Mobilicity, and I would guess Videotron, as well.

This is very interesting. It's really the first major smartphone release to launch on the new entrants as well as the Big 3. I guess it's a sign that the combined ordering power of the new entrants is high enough that Bell, Rogers, or Telus can't offer enough for an exclusivity agreement, as they had for the Galaxy S (Bell) and Galaxy S II (Telus).

#6 ·
Doubtful. Samsung was already building a Galaxy S III with AWS support for T-Mobile, as they have with previous Galaxy S devices, and if they weren't, there wouldn't be one for the new entrants. The only thing that has changed is that the Big 3 either can't or don't want to buy exclusivity rights.

Apple has repeatedly passed on making an iPhone with AWS support for T-Mobile's 30 million customers, so the maybe couple of million new entrant subscribers aren't likely to tip the scales there. The only way the new entrants get an iPhone is if T-Mobile gets one with AWS support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.