Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Getting Comcast Xfinity

36K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
Yes, I'm now recieving the full lineup for Comcast Xfinity here in Toronto. Watching it on a 46" Samsung Tv. I've been wanting to set this up for ages. I was just down in Florida and set up a Slingbox at a relatives home. His upload speed is 5mbs, so the quality is terrific. In fact the SD channels are equal in quality to what Rogers has. Mind you, I hate the Xfinity IPG, and On-demand interface. I'll try to post some screen shots here when i have a chance.

#4 ·
Looks like the on screen remote is a PIA to use.
Might be good to have as a backup but I certainly won't be rushing to cancel my satellite and hookup something similar with my family in the US as a primary distribution method.

Incidentally, despite all the complaining about Canadian networks covering up program graphics with logo bugs, it looks like American networks are no better - the TNT bug was superimposed over the credits.

#5 ·
Actually the on-screen remote is no more of a PIA than a hand held remote IMHO. This setup may not be for everyone who wants U.S. programming, but technically it's not been proclaimed or proven in law as illegal to do so for private use, and you can access the programming from any Wi-fi over any computer or laptop, and in my case on my big screen tv. If you have a willing friend or relative, it won't cost you anything other than the purchase of the hardware.

#17 ·
If you are in Canada then you can go to a number of channels such as CBC and they stream to you for free. CBC programming etc. is also there, or was last time I went there. That is legal. As for US content a few channels (not main networks) stream for free try and if they tell you that you have to be American then you are out of luck. Some of the news channels also stream programming live such as Global One, try it and see if it works. You then save the websites for each one then you are set up with a number of channels. Google is your friend to find their home pages. Some channels such as Space have a few programs (or did not long ago) that you can watch as well, try their home page.

#19 ·
I recently rented an apartment in Fort Lauderdale that had Shaw satellite. Since there are a lot of French Canadians in the Hollywood / Fort Lauderdale, many rent out apartments and supply Canadian channels. However, the signal strength is a bit flaky given the location. Of the 20+ channels, maybe 60% worked.

Slingbox is not bad but I always found the lag between the remote control and the transmission to have too much lag - particularly if you channel surf. You would have to set it up at home and receive on a computer or tablet. I own a Slingcatcher which actually connects to a TV but those aren't sold anymore except maybe Kijiji.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.