Oval and transponder - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2002-07-29, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Oval and transponder

Here's are questions I hope no one has asked before. What is a transponder and why are the ExpressVu dishes oval in shape and not round?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2002-07-29, 03:51 PM

Star Choices dishes are oval because (like Directv) they have more than one bird in the sky at different oribital slots.

If you see a picture of the satellite, you will notice different panels. Each panel is a transponder. Directv/BEV/DN uses 32 transponders (they have more in case one goes puff).

The more transponders you are using mean the more channels you can transmit. The FCC (in the states) dictates the amount of bandwidth that can be used at each slot.

Different channels are on different transponders. Each one has a different signal strenght. During rain some channels will be fine and others will have pixelation or be out of commision (until the rain stops)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2002-07-30, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Oh ok, so transponders are like...um... floors in a building so to speak. The building is the satellite, each floor is the transponder, and each room is a channel.

So my Bev IRD automatically switches transponders depending on which channel I am watching.

As for oval dishes... I forgot about th eelliptical dishes StarChoice has. I didn't mean those. I meant egg-shaped. Like my Bev dish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.