Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable analogue to digital migration

200K views 490 replies 123 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
I received a notice from my apartment building, who bundles basic cable into my rent, and was told that Shaw needs to install digital boxes to remain receiving basic cable. Makes no difference to me since I already have a HD PVR, an HD box (awaiting a new TV to hook it up to as it is a rental) and a SD box. But here in Lloydminster are they phasing out analog cable altogether or did my apartment building make this decision?

If so, does this mean that Lloydminster will finally receive all the channels Shaw offers elsewhere such as Canadian Timeshifting and Superchannel? I would assume this would be a solution to the finite capacity issue as I understand that digital has a higher capacity (possibly infinite like IPTV) and could carry all of these channels without a capacity issue.

#300 ·
Edmonton (West End)

Yes, I also got the original letter in July 2011.......I kind of doubt that they would bother to bring it up again unless it was actually true. When I phoned to ask about it two months ago..the guy said it would be done by Jan 2013..but he said he was not so sure of that date...but that was the date he was given.

#301 ·
I got an email, a letter in the mail and a phone call from Shaw about this, all in the same week last month. This came after I had found out(and posted in another thread here) that there is a big push on to get this completed along with the network amalgamation. I'm hoping this means we will all be enjoying the benefits sooner rather than later.

#309 ·
Hi there, I have the full cable package (no filters) and I hooked up the tv directly to the coax from Shaw and received only 2-28 coming in but I believe it was 20 and 21 that were snow in between.

29 and above were also snow.

With that, does it mean my area has had the DNU?

Thanks.

#311 · (Edited by Moderator)
… I hooked up the tv directly to the coax from Shaw and received only 2-28 coming in but I believe it was 20 and 21 that were snow in between.
29 and above were also snow.
With that, does it mean my area has had the DNU? …
Sounds like your area had finished the DNU, better call Shaw that you missed the DNU upgrade if you still didn't have a digital box for your TV set..(and Shaw will defintely selling you to switch to the new Personal Plan rather than just give you the box... You can check the difference between their new plan and the old cable plan before you make the call)

P.S. In Metro Vancouver, ch. 20(was CMT) and 21(was KOMO - ABC Seattle) had moved to another channel, so it's normal to see snow in channel 20 and 21 in analog cable.

#312 ·
From Kelowna

Saw the postings about 281 and 282 being available in new areas so checked just in case they were added here in Kelowna even though I haven't had anything from Shaw to say they were now available. They are now available. However when I checked with an analog TV, Tiers 1, 2 and 3 are still available on a TV with an analog tuner so I assume that the analog channels scheduled to be lost hasn't yet occurred.

My two TVs have analog/digital tuners but I usually watch through Gateway portals so will probably not notice when the analog channels are lost.

#313 ·
today for the first time I've seen the scrolling/crawl message on upper analog channels warning of DNU coming to our neighbourhood (I'm in Vancouver)

does anyone know how soon after these messages start appearing that the actual DNU takes place?

also, a related aside: is it true that during the DNU Shaw will provide one free digital terminal (presumably the basic DCT700) to all affected customers? of course those of us with multiple TVs will have to buy some new hardware, but it would be nice if at least one free terminal is offered

#319 ·
Well, as stated in post 315, it is possible that they will provide a free STB/DTA to digital customers if they have (and pay for) analogue outlets to other TVs without a STB/DTA currently. Most providers will do this. Looks like some Shaw customers are luckier than others, or perhaps different regions have different rules, or perhaps it comes down to the luck of the draw with which CSR you talk to.

#322 ·
fyi for reference, 3 weeks ago today I started seeing the crawling message on upper analog channels warning the DNU was coming to my neighbourhood (in Vancouver). today they switched it over and as expected my remaining TVs without digital box now only get channels 28 and lower. Channels above that display a static messages saying I now need a digital box

btw, re: earlier discussion about free digital box. to clarify, I already had one existing HD digital box but am still on one of the old packages which included analog tiers 1-3 and digital basic, and HD Plus. My other 3 TVs were still on analog signal. For the DNU Shaw gave me 1 free DCT700.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.