Need help setting up my new hdtv - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Need help setting up my new hdtv

I just bought a daytek 19" TFT Widescreen LCD TV+DVDP Combo for $300. It looked pretty good in the store. But it looks horrible in my room.
ok, heres a list of problems so far, please help.

1. I cant get the tv to tilt up a little bit.
2. I connected the cable i used for my old sd tv to my new tv. i only get 2 channels and they both look absoulutly terrible.
3. I finally got my ps3 to work on it. it looks great, except when i actually try to play a game. as soon as i play a game the lines get really jagged n stuff. I got a cheap hdmi cable from the store, $7. It was specifically made for ps3, and its gold plated, the girl at the store said getting a better cable wouldn't make a noticable difference and that she uses the same cable and it looks great. why does it look so bad.

please help, i've never had an hdtv before and i didn't really do much with the settings because i didn't know how. please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 09:58 PM

1. if it isn't a tilt capable screen, put a book under it (i'm joking). is it supposed to tilt? otherwise leave it.
2. did you set it for cable? run auto-program to scan for cable channels.
3. did you set up the ps3 to run at you tv's native resolution?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

1. i guess i can live with that for now
2. ill try the scanning thing
3. yes its running at the native resolution
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-19, 10:50 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Perhaps the following posts will help:

FAQ - What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV TV setup

FAQ - Why Does My HDTV Have Poor SD Picture Quality? SD PQ

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum Useful Info for Newbies - please read the post for tips and the approriate links.

BTW, if you're getting a signal without sparklies on the TV, then the HDMI cable is fine. See the following post about expensive HDMI - not necessary. Is it an HD game you're playing? What's the game?

Do I Need Luxury Cables?

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.