50" Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD vs 58" Panasonic PZ 800/850 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

50" Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD vs 58" Panasonic PZ 800/850

Opinions wanted as this is my choice due to $$ considerations. Is the Pioneer's picture that much better as to negate the size difference?

The Pioneer seems to also have a more sophisticated anti image retention system which is important to me. The room it will be in is not that big but I still want the biggest picture while obtaining the best picture quality for the 5K and under range.

What would you do given the choice and situation above?

Thanks

"Music? We ain't got no music. We don't need no music. I don't have to show you any stinking music. We have equipment."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 12:05 PM

Just my opinion.....The Kuro is argueably the best flat screen TV money can buy,albeit "only" 50 inches. The Panny is no sloutch and is 58 inches.
If your room is not all that big, then go with the Kuro. I had a projector as my only TV and the allure of going big was attractive at first, then I bought a 50 inch Kuro( obviously biased now) and don't regret it for one second. When I see those great blacks and overall picture quality, I know I made a good choice.
Best of luck.

Carl

Pioneer Kuro Pro-101, Onkyo TX-SR805, Panasonic BD35, Paradigm Studio 20's,4x ADP470's,CC470, Seismic 12,BEV 9220

Last edited by kickingrass; 2008-12-11 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 12:26 PM

I couldn't agree more. I was planning on purchasing the exact Elite panel you're writing about. I decided to go nuts and grabbed the Elite 60" Signature Monitor (the bank has been calling relentlessly ever since)

It's an amazing panel...that goes for all the Elites, regardless of size. Yes, it's worth the extra cash or sacrifice in a bit of size. The Panny is a good TV, but ain't nowhere near an Elite.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 01:08 PM

The Pioneer Kuros are widely considered the best panel TVs with Panasonics being second.

However, from what I have read the Mitsubishi Laser TVs are now the best displays available - even better than the Kuros. Aside from the power conservation benefits, they have better colour reproduction.

C.

Last edited by 57; 2008-12-11 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Minor edit.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Been hearing great things about the laser Mits's for a while now. Problem is from what I can gather the $$$ are great too!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 02:17 PM

get a 60" Kuro, case closed. I moved from 5080 to a 106" Sony projector and now I always stuggle should I watch my new blu-ray on Kuro or projector! and end up I always have to watch the movie twice! The black, the pop up, the realistic color from the Kuro is hard to beat!

Sony VW60, Pio 5080HD, Oppo BDP-83, A20 HD-dvd, PS3, Pio Elite VSX23-THX, SVS PC12-NSD, Focal Chorus 800 series & HTPC
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

If I could justify spending the difference for the 60" PRO-151 I wouldn't be thinking about the 58" Panasonic 800/850 at all but, as my budget is limited, the PRO-111 50" is about as much as I want to spend at present.

"Music? We ain't got no music. We don't need no music. I don't have to show you any stinking music. We have equipment."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 04:50 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Provided you don't put the two side-by-side, the 58" Panny is very nice. I've optimized both and in a totally dark room there is some difference, however, under most conditions, most people will be perfectly happy with the Panny.

I recently optimized a $20k+ 65" B&O TV and the PRO-141 60" Pioneer and yes they were nice, but were they worth the additional $? For people with a lot of money, or who want the absolute best, I guess the answer is yes, but I believe that for most people the answer is probably no.

This is not that much different than someone saying Bryston amps are great - yeah, sure, but... $.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 07:07 PM

Excellent call 57. All true as far as I can see. Elite is the best, but at a premium correct. I bought the Elite 60" Sig Monitor and so glad I stretched my bank acc't to do so. Still blown away evey time I sit down in front of it!

After all, you will have only ONE of the TVs in your house ie. nothing to compare it to day in, day out...so the Panny is fine if you want the bigger size. If you demand absolute picture quality etc. then go for the 50" Elite.

Put it this way...I've seen the new 55" Sony XBR8...sure, great for an LCD but still can't match an Elite 60" and you're giving up 5" of size for the same cash. No thanks.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-12, 08:08 AM

If dimensionality, pop, depth that cr can bring is important to you then kuro is the best. Also I believe it has superior processing and user controls. If size is more important go with the panny.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2008-12-12, 08:42 AM

Law of diminishing returns comes into effect big time with these higher end displays...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 01:19 PM
Rookie

Smile

I just joined this forum as I too narrowed my choices to the exact 2 TV's being discussed here. Wondering if Khorn chose one of these yet and thoughts on it. Where I live, I am not able to actually see these displays and rely on reviews. If the TV was not always in a dark room, but one which had natural daylight coming in 2 patio doors on the wall the TV would be mounted influence a decision in either way. Would playing a Wii be a bad idea on either of these TV's due to burn in risk. Right now I am pretty sure I will be ordering the Pioneer 111fd. THanks for any input.:
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-03-05, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I bought the PRO 111FD and I think it is the best TV purchase I ever made!

On one short wall end of the room there are three large picture windows covered by wooden Venitian type blinds. The light also falls on the wall where the tv is mounted. There is no problem with light as far as the widow goes even with the blinds partially open. Maybe in the summer when there is more direct sunlight I might need additional window covering at the brightest times but, at this point I doubt it.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-03-05, 08:29 PM
Veteran

I play Wii all the time. NO problem with both my PRO-1150 and PRO-111.

THe biggest problem of the Panasonic, to me, is the additional layer of "protective" glass. It blurs the picture unless you're 100% smack dab in front of the screen. I used to own the 50" 800U and I can't stand the bluriness so a couple of weeks later I bought the PRO-1150.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-03-06, 08:41 AM
Veteran

Or you could consider waiting a couple of months to check this baby out:

The new flagship Panasonic VIERA plasma in 2009 is the Z1 series, with a revolutionary one inch thin panel design and Wireless HD connectivity to deliver the ultimate sleek, uncluttered HDTV viewing experience. Also included on the VIERA Z1 is VIERA CAST web menu with the new streaming HD movie rental capability via Amazon Video-on-Demand. The Neo PDP design of the VIERA Z1 produces a brighter picture, deeper blacks, improved native contrast ratio (40,000:1) and Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution. Other Z1 model features include; 1080p resolution, a THX Certified Display; an Infinite Black panel; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; and VIERA Link, and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards. The Z1 series will be available in the summer of 2009 in the new TC-54Z1, 54-inch class screen size (54" measured diagonally).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.