why 1080p for computer use? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

why 1080p for computer use?

Hi, I've read a fair bit on 1080p vs 720p, screen size, sitting distance etc. I haven't found any info on exactly why 1080p is recommended if the screen is used for a computer though. Can anyone explain this? If screen size and sitting distance would indicate that 720p is all that is needed, why do people recommend 1080p if a computer is going to be hooked up?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 01:37 PM

overscan. lots of 1080p tvs have 1:1 mapping while most 720p tv's do not. overscan on a 720p panel results in like 680 lines which is pretty low by most standards.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 01:53 PM

I have a 42" 1080p Aquos as my computer monitor. I went with it because:

- it accepted 1080p/60, which only 3 at the time did back then, more info to the TV to show a picture the better
- Pixel denisty at my distance
- It has a dot by dot mode so that every pixel the computer sends the TV, it shows without altering it. This makes a huge difference in clarity of text. I toggled back a forth and I was amazed at the difference it made.

62MX195, Shaw 6412 HD-PVR, Sony S350, VSX-1018AH-K, LC-42D62U (Computer monitor)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I've been reading about 1:1 pixel mapping. When I went to the manufacturer's website their online documentation didn't say anything about it. I suppose the people selling tvs may know but I'd bet that most of the sales people don't even know what 1:1 pixel mapping is!

How did you find if the tv you were interested in had 1:1 pixel mapping or the ability to turn off overscan?

thanks

Last edited by 57; 2008-12-08 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Minor edit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmish View Post
How did you find if the tv you were interested in had 1:1 pixel mapping or the ability to turn off overscan?
By every way possible... One of them - brand.
I've not seen a Samsung - DLP, LCD or Plasma - that doesn't allow this.
Keep in mind that on many LCDs (768p or the like) you won't like it one bit...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 07:57 PM

Only way to find out would be the hard way I imagine, reading each manual of the TV's you shortlist for other reasons/features.

Just apply dot:dot as the last filter to your search, to reduce the number of sets you need to check up on

I would highly recommend making sure you get dot:dot for computer use though, other options are more of user preference like black levels, price, ambient lighting, etc.

Each set probably calls it something different as well.

Good luck!

62MX195, Shaw 6412 HD-PVR, Sony S350, VSX-1018AH-K, LC-42D62U (Computer monitor)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-07, 08:05 PM
Veteran

720p resolution just isn't good enough for computer use. A regular pc monitor is 1280 x 1024 resolution. 720 lines of resolution just isn't good enough for pc use, unless all you are doing is viewing videos, etc. If you try to use a 720p TV for word processing or something, you will inevitably get eye strain/fatigue due to what will end up being 'fuzziness'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.