Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Computer monitor as a TV..

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  TECHNOKID 
#1 ·
I'd like to get an LCD TV under 19" for my bedroom, which I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR player capable of 480p (with component out) with a small antenna attached that gets about 5 channels. I use it mostly for watching DVD's or cassettes. Just browsing FS/BB's websites,LCD TV's the same size as LCD monitors are about 50 bucks more. Would it be possible to use a monitor and connect it with a Component-to-VGA cable? I can only find VGA-to-Component. Is what I'm thinking of possible?

#2 ·
Obviously a monitor has no tuner. Some computer monitors accept HDMI, Component and S-Video output.

#4 ·
Note that you cannot use a component to VGA cable since you'll usually need a transcoder to convert component to VGA (the signals are different and a cable doesn't transcode, you need electronics). It is true that some HDTVs/monitors may do the transcoding, but that's usually rare and restricted to front projectors.

You should get a monitor that has the appropriate inputs as discussed above. Also, what are you going to do about audio. You'll need speakers, unless you purchase a monitor with speakers.

#6 ·
Yeah that's true, when I looked at the monitors with built-in speakers they cost as much as a TV but with more hassle. Thanks guys. Just another crackpot idea I had while on night shift for the first time in a while.

#7 ·
my DLP doesn't work well as a computer monitor. It looks awsome (maybe overwelming) with a spreadsheet on a 61" screen @ 1920x1080.
But the bad part of the DLP is the overscan puts the scroll bar and taskbar partway off the screen.

#8 ·
Yeah that's true, when I looked at the monitors with built-in speakers they cost as much as a TV but with more hassle. Thanks guys. Just another crackpot idea I had while on night shift for the first time in a while.
Not a crackpot idea at all as your audio can come from your VCR and from what you are telling us, you do not need high end speakers, you can hook-up some good computer powered speakers to the monitor. The advantage is they can be position where ever you like. The way I understand you, you are not looking for HD but ratter the few analoge TV stations with priority on playing VCR/DVDs to this bedromm set... am I right??

Cheers!
René

#9 ·
That's right, not looking for HD, just a couple TV stations and VCR, and 480p DVD playback. I can hook the speakers up thru analog out. I think I will be trying this, I flipped through some flyers today, and I could probably do it for $50-$100 less than a TV.

Since my DVD/VCR player has ANT IN and RF OUT does that mean it could tune TV channels, or does it just pass-through the signal?

#11 ·
RF-coax is mono sound from the VCR. In order to hook up computer speakers, you'd probably use the analogue audio outputs from the VCR (red/white) and connect to computer speaker using an analogue to "mini jack" connector.

Also, instead of using RF-coax to the monitor, you'd probably use composite video (yellow)

See: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

#12 ·
Do you not worry about the ability to control the volume with a remote control because you'll use that by using computer speakers. That's pretty significant to me.
Not a problem for audio control thru a remote as you can get computer speaker with included remote ability and bass if you so wish a better punch. Check the sales for such. Last summer I was stuck using computer monitors to play movies (on the road) and I was happily surprised at the end result! My sister had paid 29$ for a sale of 80$ computer speaker package (2.1 w/remote), I think it is Logitec???

Yes, you can use the VCR as a tuner.
Exactly!

Also, instead of using RF-coax to the monitor, you'd probably use composite video (yellow)
Try buy a video monitor versus a computer monitor. That way, you could use component to it which of course would give you better quality than composite.

In order to hook up computer speakers, you'd probably use the analogue audio outputs from the VCR (red/white) and connect to computer speaker using an analogue to "mini jack" connector.
You only need to acquire a female mini to 2 RCA male cable in order to achieve this however, if you take the time to shop appropriately, you will find that some of the more modern computer speakers above mentioned may offer the RCA connections already builted into the package!

Enjoy!
René

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.