TV Audio Mute Annoyance - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

TV Audio Mute Annoyance

My pet peeve are TVs that don't have a way to turn off the speakers from a remote control without displaying an annoying 'Mute' message. My Samsung 4661 does this and it means that when I want to listen to the show using my 5.1 setup I have to turn the TV volume down manually rather then have the Harmony do it automatically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 01:41 PM

There is a way to turn off the speakers on most TV's by going into the TV menu. The harmony can be set up with a macro to go into the TV's menu and select "speaker off". If the TV didn't say "mute" on the screen when the TV is muted there would be many support calls and returned TV's as people might hit the mute button by accident, and assume something went wrong with the speakers on the TV.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 02:19 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnunn
when I want to listen to the show using my 5.1 setup
I take that to mean that you are using an AV 5.1 receiver/speakers and the receiver is putting MUTE on the screen when it is muted, or is it the TV's own 5.1 audio?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I'm talking about the mute on the television so you can listen through the receiver. On the 4661 you get a nice box saying "Mute Enabled" which makes the mute function useless. As per the other poster, the 4661 does have this function buried in a menu and I did try coding a macro for it in Harmony but the performance of the macro was brutal. I tried speeding up the delays in the Harmony but any faster and the macro would not not, so I was out of luck.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 01:06 AM

Location: Burnaby,BC--Sharp LC-37D43U,Pioneer 1018AH,PS3,Toshiba HD-A2,Celestion AVP-301,Jamo SW-1008,DCT3416
Quote:
My pet peeve are TVs that don't have a way to turn off the speakers from a remote control without displaying an annoying 'Mute' message. My Samsung 4661 does this and it means that when I want to listen to the show using my 5.1 setup I have to turn the TV volume down manually rather then have the Harmony do it automatically.
If you have a 5.1 setup then why would you ever have the TV speakers turned on or TV volume turned up to begin with?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U,Pioneer VSX-1018AH,Sony BDP-S350,Toshiba HD-A3,Energy RC Mini Speakers,Klipsch Sub-10,H880,DCT3416
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 01:40 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev604
If you have a 5.1 setup then why would you ever have the TV speakers turned on or TV volume turned up to begin with?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Why wouldn't you permanently disable the audio on the HDTV, gnunn?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

No reason in particular, it just seems like a waste to have the receiver on when I'm just watching regular TV and have no need for 5.1 sound. This is not a major issue, just something I wish TV manufacturers would include as a standard feature. My old Sony LCD projection set allowed me to turn the speakers off with a discrete code and it was great.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnunn View Post
I did try coding a macro for it in Harmony but the performance of the macro was brutal. I tried speeding up the delays in the Harmony but any faster and the macro would not not, so I was out of luck.
What's the model of the Harmony? I have a nine step sequence on mine to turn the CC on and off and it works great. I also programed a 12 step sequence for my Mom to do a channel scan on her STB that also works like a charm. Just takes a bit of time. You do know you can get about 3 or 4 button presses in one step in a sequence with a bit of trial and error?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 06:49 PM

In my experience, turning the TV volume to zero is the best option. Mute does not do a good job. OTOH, I rarely turn the TV volume above zero. The A/V system handles all sound.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

I have a Harmony 880, I don't think the delay issue is a problem with the Harmony, rather the TV does not work well with codes sent in rapid succession.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-30, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnunn
No reason in particular, it just seems like a waste to have the receiver on when I'm just watching regular TV and have no need for 5.1 sound.
I'm not sure what you mean by waste. Even regular programs sound better through the HT system than only using the TV (not to mention hearing the news in a cathedral sound field, LOL) . I would find it a waste not to use something that a person invests a great deal of $$$ and time into.
I have an older Hitachi TV (in our 2nd HT system) that I've owned for over 6 years and have never heard it's internal speakers once.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-07-30, 05:38 AM
Veteran

My TV speakers are OFF and use the a/v receiver full time.

When my wife is in the house, I punch "Night" on my 880 (a receiver option on the Activity menu) and that kills the sub output. And when she tells me she's going to bed, I plug in the headphones in the receiver jack input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.