Mitsubishi announces screen sizes for Laser TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-06-25, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Mitsubishi announces screen sizes for Laser TV

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. today announced additional details surrounding the performance and functionality of its LaserVue TV which was first announced at this years CES.

LaserVue will be available in 65" and 73" models with the 65" Diamond shipping to authorized retailers in the third quarter of this year and the 73" Diamond to follow.

Mitsubishi claims laser beams provide the widest range of rich, complex colors, along with the most clarity and depth of field. Precise and focused, the purity of laser light far surpasses current high definition technologies. The color gamut as a percentage of BT.709 for LaserVue prototypes, has been measured at approximately 200 percent, delivering over twice the color of many of today's HDTVs. Brightness has been demonstrated at about 500 nits. Additional features for LaserVue TV include Smooth 120hz and x.v. Color.

Mitsubishi LaserVue TVs not only provide the ultimate picture quality, they are also capable of delivering the ultimate 3D viewing experience. With operating power targeted at under 200 watts, they are environmentally friendly, consuming approximately one-half the power of today's LCD TVs, and one-third of plasma TVs. At approximately 10 inches deep, LaserVue TV has been designed for both floor stand and wall-mount applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-06-25, 01:54 PM

I suspect this will take some of the 1080p projector market. It will be interesting to see the price range and actual performance.

1 fl = 3.4 nit.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-06-25, 03:26 PM
Veteran

So nearly 150 Foot Lamberts?! Jumpin! We used to calibrate CRT rear projectors to about 18fL, which is/was the THX spec for movie theaters. 150fL must be eyeball searing! Quite unnecessary for home theatre, so I hope you can bring down the output by reducing the power of the laser rather than DLP mirror tricks.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-06-25, 03:33 PM

I think it must be foot-meters because that is just a little too toasty.

Strange: http://www.convertworld.com/en/lumin...t-lambert.html
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 02:16 AM

LaserVue Laser tv.....worth waiting for?

Mitsubishi is coming out with Laser TV's that are supposed to be superior to LCD and Plasma's at roughly the same price.I'm wondering if I should hold off on buying a new TV and see what is up with these new TV's....they are coming out in Q3 of this year.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-07-02 at 07:58 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 07:55 AM
Veteran

This is another projector technology right? If it is so, then I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be better than plasma. LCD maybe, but not plasma.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

If you are in the market for a 65" set then it might be worth waiting to see.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 08:52 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_TV

Quote:
First audiences who were shown reference clips from popular movies reported that they were blown away by a Laser TV's hitherto unseen color-display prowess
Hitherto we never really experienced true torch mode.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

That wikipedia bit is over the top and probably edited by the PR firm!

From what I have read, early viewers said they were impressed by the sets but I did not read the term "blown away" from any of them!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 11:59 AM
Veteran

I spent some time looking over the current crop of LCD and plasma sets last weekend. LCDs are looking pretty good these days and although plasmas have better blacks (which is just absolutely critical to me), there is still a 'sparkle' crystalline look to the picture that bothers me.

I would probably spend my money today on a Samsung LED-based DLP display as they have one of the cleanest and most natural looking images I've seen (and cost less, too) but these Mits sets take this one step higher.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 02:00 PM
Veteran

OMG, plasma and LED-based LCD (or any kind of LCD, in fact) can't be even mentioned in the same breath. The difference is night and day.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 03:55 PM

No 50" coming out? I want one for hockey season.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 08:46 AM

Will these sets be available in Canada?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-08, 10:28 PM

the article says dlp rear projection based? and half the price of plasma and led...

i'll take 2
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 06:21 PM

Does anyone know where I can read up more on these? Canadian sites/articles would be best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.