JVC 40FH96 - Is it dead? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-06-23, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Unhappy JVC 40FH96 - Is it dead?

I have (had?) at 42" JVC 40FH96 LCD television and just last night we were watching something and the screen went black. At first I figured it was channel, and then perhaps a bad connection somewhere. This morning we took it off the wall, unplugged everything and then just plugged in the power to see if I could get to the menu. Nothing. The power light comes on but no picture at all. We've had it for just over 3 years now and it's been used quite regularly. My wife is at home with the kids so the TV is on quite often; roughly calculated I'd say its been used between 12,000 and 18,000 hours. These things are supposed to last much longer than that I thought. Does it sound likes its toast? Is there a bulb or something that can be replaced? Is there another way I can test it? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-06-23, 10:12 PM
Member #1
Sounds like the backlight is dead. I don't if its worth repairing or how much it would cost to fix but I suspect you will need to contact JVC to see about servicing.

Please let us know what they tell you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
So I got a call back from the repair shop today; seems like the "digital board" is defective. Cost to replace would be ~$850. Had I purchase the TV for $1000-$1500 it would make sense to just go buy a new one but I paid quite a bit more than that 3 years ago.. I'm stuck as to what to do. I wonder if I could purchase the digital board online somewhere and replace it myself? Any thoughts/comments?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 11:24 AM
Forget it

After you spend 850, you do not have any warranty
for any other repairs, better to buy new as the
prices have come down sharply. You have used
about 30% of the life span already.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2008-07-05, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Good point. Think I'll start looking around for a new one and then down the road hopefully fix the JVC on my own and use as a 2nd set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.