HDMI vs. Component Connectivity - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
HDMI vs. Component Connectivity

I just decided to buy an HDTV from FutureShop. They wanted me to buy those expensive HDMI cables, but I did my homework and bought them from a company in Markham for around $10 each. I'm a StarChoice subscriber so I bought a StarChoice HD receiver. To my surprise when I got it home and tried to connect it, I realized that the StarChoice HD receiver doesn't have an HDMI port. Their tech support insisted that I was just as well off with component video cables and RCA audio cables. Are they telling me the truth or should I consider switching to Rogers or ExpressVu?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 12:25 AM
Does it have an DVI port? If so you can use a DVI to HDMI cable. You will need to run the audio separately. Component will also work but the cables usually cost more.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 12:41 AM
My personal opinion is if your using HDMI the Rogers's PQ is the best.

50PX75U, (rogers') 8300HDPVR, 42PD50, Macbook Pro
Imac 3.2ghz, Apple TV2, Iphone4, Time Capsule, VOIP Line,
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 12:50 AM
I've had my DVR 530 hooked up with both DVI-HDMI and component and there really isn't any difference. For audio, I use analogue (RCA red & white) for sound through the tv, and digital coaxial for sound through my 5.1 set-up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 07:27 AM
I ended up going the component cable route because my Akai plasma has a flaky HDMI port. The picture was just as good with components.

I bought my component cables (Philips) at Wal-Mart for approx. $25.00, and they are of decent quality.

Good luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 10:05 AM
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
On a properly calibrated input, the component video connection is usually indistinguishable from HDMI (or DVI) on STBs. See the following thread where this is discussed:

FAQ - HDMI Comments/Issues

See this post which is useful for people new to the forum:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll stay with StarChoice. I haven't looked into it in detail, but I think they're the cheapest provider of the big 3. I would like to be getting digital sound, but I'll make do with the RCA cables. BTW the component video cables came with the receiver. I didn't have to buy them. Just bought a Sony KDL-46W4100 HDTV. Just came out on the market.

Thanks again,

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-06-20, 10:12 AM
I really can't see much difference on my 55" sony sxrd with videotron cable, but for blu ray I would definately want hdmi for the audio and video....I would say that with hdmi and the videotron box I have, there are other issues that I've experienced that are a pain.... I believe it's a handshaking issue that requires me to reset the box. Overall hdmi should be simpler if you don't experience the problems that I've had; also, I would question why your cable or sat company is giving you a box with old technology.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.