Acer AT3720A humming noise from speakers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Acer AT3720A humming noise from speakers

I just purchased the Acer AT3720A from Canada Computers yesterday and realized that there is a humming sound coming from the speakers even though there is nothing connected to the audio inputs. Is there a way to disable the audio output completely so that there is no noise floor whatsoever? I am in the GTA.

Also, there is a slight brightness (very small area surface of overall screen) in the top right hand corner of the tv on black scenes. i can see it a mile away obviously cuz i know it's there. i asked my girlfriend and she said she could somewhat see it but minimally noticable. will this go away with time or should i exchange like i have planned to do?

BTW the tv is great quality and i bought it at an incredible cash promotion price. as a student i am getting a great value for it but want it to be without these annoyances.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 05:54 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Have you done a proper setup of the TV? That may help with the brightness - along with a proper adjustment of the backlight

FAQ - What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV

Are you sure the humming is from the speakers? Sometimes these units have a light buzz/hum. Some TVs have an option in the user menu (usually under audio) to turn off the internal speakers.

Please also see the following post - useful for newbies to the forum:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

thanks 57. thing is i'm not what most would call a noobie and understand the concept of lcd backlight hum. however, this model doesn't have a speaker disable function after having checked the menu and was wondering if there was anything to do to get rid of the electronic interference/groud loop that is transmitted via the speakers. it is most definitely coming from the speakers.

i don't plan on ever using them as i do not watch tv and have a 5.1 system to route my audio through. the only option is to disconnect the wires to the speakers by removing the back panel which is not something i am willing to take on due to the warranty void/safety issues.

looks like i might have to live with the hum if there is no other alternative...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: returned the Acer and got a Sharp lc-37sh12u. couldn't be happier and the picture quality is amazing! i don't watch tv so the banding issues i heard of the sharp models were a non-issue for me. i'm glad i can share the wealth of information here on DHC. thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.