Sony KDL40D3000 - Ghosting - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-01-20, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Sony KDL40D3000 - Ghosting

I work at futureshop here in Surrey, and had bought the Samsung 405N (same panel as 4053, all the guys the same only difference is there is no wiselink port and no blue light on the bottom ). I was very impressed with the TV, but was looking at getting a TV with 120HZ in it and true 24P. So I picked up the KDL-40D3000. Now Ive got problems. First of all CBC HD Hockey over ATSC does not look as good as it did with my sammy. I would have went with a 40inch 120hz sammy, the 4069 (cuz sammys are the best, and I always recommend them to my customers) but it was too pricey. this TV has all the feature of the 4069 except 1080P, which isnt a big issue at 40 inches.

Any how heres my problem. I get ghosting on HDTV broadcasts and When I watch Blu-Rays, whether I set it at 24P, or 60Hz with motionflow on. I get alot of ghosting. I read on the net there is a fix for ghosting on this model on this site http://community.eu.playstation.com/...d.php?t=139222.

However my service menu is different. Mine is similar to the S3000 Service menu. I don't know what settings to alter in order to get rid of the ghosting.

Another question, Is there any sites on the internet where you can download firmware upgrades?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 12:04 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
A proper setup of the TV may be in order, if you've left it in the vivid mode. See:

FAQ - What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV

Here's some more useful information for newbies to the forum:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

I strongly suggest that you stay out of the service menu unless you are a professional. See the following post and heed the warnings:

FAQ - Service Menu Codes

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

any other input?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 03:52 PM

Shut off Noise reduction features.....they can often contribute to that issue on LCD sets.

I have the same set and I have no ghosting issues at all.

Last edited by the hawk; 2008-01-21 at 03:57 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 04:57 PM

Try turning OFF all the other enhancements in the menu, too, like motionflow, etc. That usually improves things.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

been doing some tweaking. I dunno Sony panel doesnt seem to handle a MPEG-2 ATSC signal as well as the sammy. Im just wondering if HD Broadcasts over the HDMI will be better? The picture just seems soft, if u turn the sharpness up full you get all the mpeg noise, if u put the filter on it softens the picture.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 09:23 PM

Thejatt, dont worry, you are not missing much with the Samsung:

Samsung LNT5271- fantastic TV! but...

Last edited by ATOMSMASHER; 2008-01-23 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.