Samsung Series 5 Plasma: PN50A550P and PN58A550P - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-01-07, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Samsung Series 5 Plasma: PN50A550P and PN58A550P

Samsung has introduced three series of plasma's at CES. Series 4, Series 5 and Series 7 (gee how original)

Both the Series 4 and Series 5 models come packaged in piano-black exterior, and feature first class components and advanced features typical of premium models. Built-in entertainment modes automatically optimize image and audio quality to the content being viewed—a must-have for the avid gamer, sports fan or movie buff. Further enhancing the Series’ viewing experience is the FilterBright™ anti-glare technology, which produces deeper blacks and an increased contrast ratio for overall superior picture.

A variety of multimedia devices can be easily connected and used through 3 HDMI inputs, one of which conveniently located on the side of the units. Extending that connectivity even further, Samsung has also included a USB2.0 port for the Series 5, making it simple to view content directly from digital devices such as cameras, MP3 players, and thumb drives. In addition, the enhanced HDMI-CEC TV remote enables consumers to easily control multiple devices connected via the HDMI port.

Series 5 Plasma HDTV

The Full HD (1080p) Series 5 sets a new standard for plasma televisions. Utilizing the same cutting-edge technology employed in the Series 4, it allows users to have optimized picture and sound quality via a variety of preset modes. It also takes picture quality one step further by employing a single-scan system. This system makes it possible for the unit to have only one driving board, as opposed to the usual two. The result is enhanced performance at a more simplified structure.

The Series 5 also comes equipped with three HDMI 1.3 inputs as well as a USB2.0 port, making it a true plug-and-play set. It will be available in April in both 50-inches and 58-inches (Model numbers PN50A550P and PN58A550P).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 07:35 PM
Rookie

Samsung PN50A550 or Panasonic TH-50PZ80U?? Help me decide.

I have browsed the forums and ppl seem to like Panasonic TVs I really love Samsung just because of the visual look of the tv its self but in honesty I want which ever will perform and last better/longer. So which would you go with and why? Also I think im going to buy off the net from the US and pick it up across the border since they can both be found for just under $1600.

I have narrowed it down to these two TVs and im going to pair it up to a Yamaha YSP-4000.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 09:59 PM

I would pick Samsung over anything if it was for LCD.. but for Plasma, I think the Panny will do better for you... Aren't you going to have to pay taxes when you bring it over the border though?

Samsung LN52A650, LN-S3251D; PS3 80GB; Wii; HP m8277c HTPC;
Denon AVR-588; Yamaha 5.1 Speakers; Harmony H688
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 10:53 PM

I would pick 50A650 and there was a huge Samsung sale at Gibby's and you could've picked for really good price - very comparable with what you can find in US but with full 2 years Canadian warranty.
Check HDTV Deals forum for details.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 11:05 PM
PBC

If you care about color accuracy, go with the Samsung A550. The Panasonic 80 series, or even 85, are not in the same class. The Panny 800 would be a better comparison versus the A550 or A650.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5L View Post
I have browsed the forums and ppl seem to like Panasonic TVs I really love Samsung just because of the visual look of the tv its self but in honesty I want which ever will perform and last better/longer. So which would you go with and why? Also I think im going to buy off the net from the US and pick it up across the border since they can both be found for just under $1600.

I have narrowed it down to these two TVs and im going to pair it up to a Yamaha YSP-4000.
The Panny has better black and the Sammy has better colour. Take your poison, I would take the Sammy as it is usually cheaper.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 12:11 PM
Rookie

ok thanks guys thats what I wanted to take (samsung) I was just worried when some people said that the Panasonics are much better built TVs and wont have any problems vs the samsungs.

Any big reason to spend the extra $200 hundred for the 650 vs the 550?

Also whats Gibbys? Do they do online, im in Victoria BC thats why I will just buy from the US and get it shipped to the border, yes I will have to pay 6% duty and taxes but its still a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Matt5L; 2008-08-21 at 12:33 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 02:02 PM

I believe you've found all the answers in the HDTV Deals forum.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

My advice, go into a proper home theatre viewing environment and watch the Samsung and the Panasonic. Make sure that both are in Movie (samsung) and Cinema mode (panasonic)

Don't watch in dynamic mode.

After 20 minutes of watching, your eyes will tell you to buy the Panasonic.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Well here is my delimma I can get the

TH-PZ85U for $1550US with shipping included then I have to pay 6% Duty, 7% GST, 6% PST TOTAL = $1835
FROM US Authroized Dealer
or
Samsung PN50A650 (6 series not 5 like mentioned before) for $2000 + taxes = $2280 FROM Canada Authroized Canadian Dealer

I have watched both before in a store I used to work at but they were never side by side (the panasonic 80u and samsung 550 series) and I cant say that I liked one much more then the other. I have never compared the 650 series.

Last edited by Matt5L; 2008-08-21 at 07:52 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 07:04 AM

Samsung PN58A550

There doesn;t seem to be a lot of talk about this tv. I was wondering if anyone has this. I was originally looking at the Panasonic THP58Z00, but the price difference between is making me lean towards the Sammy. Any thoughts anyone has on this would be great. Thanks
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 08:01 AM

Here's Cnet's review on this plasma

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32887580.html

Hope this helps
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 08:08 AM

Thanks,

That article actually reviews the smaller 50 inch version. I know it should be the same due to the specs being the same, but you never know. I am hoping someone here has one, or can justify the panny being that much more expensive. I don't want to buy just because I save a few bucks if in the end the samsung is much lower quality than the panasonic. Thanks for your reply though
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 01:26 PM

I have this tv and it is my second plasma (other is LG). It is an excellent set and really good value. The colours are vivid/true and the blacks, while not Kuro standard, are perfectly acceptable. It has user settings, which are normally accessible in the service menu of most TV's, available in the standard menus. The movie setting is more or less perfect out of the box - I calibrated mine using my SpiderTV and I really didn't change much. Highly recommended.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 02:13 PM

Thanks for your response, always nice to get a first hand review. Do you have any high def signals being passed to it, ex. HD-DVD or Blu_ray player. I am wondering how the tv looks when passing a 24fps signal to it. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.