Sony 46" W3000 problem? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Sony 46" W3000 problem?

I have a 2 day old 46" W3000 and really pleased with it but with one possible problem. When there is one main colour on the screen e.g. the green field of a soccer game (though have also seen it on a yellow background) there are grey patches on the screen which stay at the same position on the field as the camera moves across the field. I have not yet had the time to do any adjustments to clolour or hue but they do not disappear with change from vivid to standard etc.
Do I have a problem which will require the tv to be changed or should I be able to remove by set ip adjustments? Any advice will be welcome before talking to Sony.
Thanks,
Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 07:53 PM
Veteran

Robin, some Sony LCD's have known 'clouding' issues where there is some backlight 'spillage' or 'leaching' of light to the screen. If you google Sony and clouding you'll get plenty of hits. As far as I know this effected sets made last year and only during a certain time. From my own experience, I've had no problems with my set, but I did have to have my PVR reset twice. Not sure what's up with that except that the colours were off enough that I thought I had a bad tv! Hopes this helps!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 07:45 AM
Veteran

It does sound like clouding. I have the same set and have a small area of minor clouding in the bottom right of the screen which isn't noticeable unless the signal is black. Not enough for me to worry about anyway but if you're noticing it during soccer games, I'd consider returing it for a different one. Where did you buy it?

My set was made Nov 07, in Mexico.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi Sleemo,
Bought it on 29 Dec at Sony store. I have now did my form of calibration and when I lowered the hue setting the problem diminished but there are various shades of green on the soccer pitch. Should I see this effect in general programming because to date I do not? If I return the TV for another am I likely to have the same thing or is a small percentage-type thing. I had a 40" Sony which I am giving to my son and did not have these problems. Do you know if it is screen size dependent. I like the set apart from that and fear if I change to another manufacturer I may see other problems e.g. Sharp has the banding issue.
Thanks
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Like Nanuuk suggested, you should do a Google search for Sony clouding or w3000 clouding, you should find a few good examples of clouding. If you notice it during your TV watching and it's distracting, I would return it. You should only notice it on dark/blank screens.

I don't know how easily you can return it to the Sony Store, they would probably make you call the tech support line first (I called them about an audio issue and they were very nice and helpful). They would at least send out a Sony tech to attempt to fix or minimize the issue.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 02:46 PM
Veteran

I can't see the Sony Store giving you grief on this, they have known issues. Last year when I bought mine, a friend bought 2 identical sets at BB. One had a clouding issue the other did not. He took one back and exchanged it for another.

This link shows 'clouding'

Sony Bravia XBR2 Models: KDL-40XBR2 and KDL-46XBR2
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi Nanuuk and Sleemo,
Thanks for your replies. Nanuuk, you indicate you know something about timeframes when problem existed, and maybe when it did not. My tv was assembled in Mexico in August 07. Any thoughts?
Robin
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 07:30 PM
Veteran

As far as I know the timeframe for a lot of faulty XBR's was July-Sept., 2006. But I could be mistaken or the problem could have cropped up again in 2007. Have you tried adjusting your settings? I'm not saying this site has the best, but a google of W3000 Picture Settings may point you in the right direction.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W3000/Settings.php

I may even have to reset mine!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
I really appreciate your comments and don't want to keep going round the hoop so maybe one final input from you.
1. Clouding is reported as being seen mostly on dark and white backgrounds. On the dark screen as I await a channel change on my 9200 PVR I don't see clouding, and not against an ice rink either - thus no clouding?
2. By toning down the hue I somewhat minimised the green grass issue but still have evidence of grey/blue when viewing grass and have also picked up various shades of green on the one field - could this be clouding or is it something else? If so is it a technician call-in first before considering returning tv would you suggest?
Thanks again,
Robin
p.s. I have saved the calibration info you supplied and will check that out for improvement as well. Thought of buying a disc - any of you guys used it and was it a big improvement?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 12:36 AM

What are you using for your source of "the green field of a soccer game" ? Is it SD or HD? If it's an standard definition, some of the problems you see might be coming from the source. Do you have HD or a DVD to try out?

The W3000 series will let you calibrate each input source separately and there are a lot of calibration numbers out there that you can try out. One of the settings I like to use has the Backlight turned way down to 5.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 07:56 AM
Veteran

Do a Google search for XBR4/5 calibration, the sets are very similar so you'll find a lot of settings to try out.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Hi Stargazer, yes, it was SD and I certainly have minimised the problem. Sleemo, I am reading and trying the other calibrations as you suggest. Can I eliminate clouding because the black screen present while waiting for the BEV 9242 to change channels is fine?
A thought though (not being paranoic, just that change is an option if really necessary). My assembly date is Aug 07 and I bought at the end of Dec. Does anyone know typical shelf life for a tv, as I am wondering if this is a long time meaning the tv has been out and in at least once. At time of ordering supply depot had none in stock. SD not that good but probably would not change on this basis as most HDTV's offer poorish SD. It is a bit poorer than my previous set but maybe because it is 46" and the last Sony was 40".
Thanks
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 07:57 PM

I have a 52W3000 and I'm quite pleased with the way that it handles SD--however, it's highly dependent upon the actual source. Some SD channels just look plain bad, while others are pretty good. I blame this on the signal and not the TV. Generally, the digital channels look better than the analogue ones. One way to see how well the set can handle SD signals is to view a new-ish DVD movie on it. I think it looks very good. With SD, going to a larger size is not going to look as good especially from the same viewing distance as the smaller set. If you move farther away, the quality should improve.

I wouldn't worry about your manufacturing date as long as yours came in an unopened box. My set has a build date of Sep 07. From what I've learned there have been revisions (according to different firmware numbers) but no significantly noticeable way to tell what the difference is since the TV seems to function the same. In fact, I had to return my first set because it was defective. The replacement had different firmware, but the same build date. I couldn't tell the difference at all.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 11:47 AM
Veteran

What I've read that IF your TV actually does have clouding issues, the way to minimize it is to turn your light sensor on, put the power saving to low or high and reduce the backlight level. If you do notice something while your watching your TV, try pausing whatever you're watching and tinker around with the settings.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Stargazer,
You refer "if the box was unopened". Could you clarify please as with mine they simply removed the lid from the box and lifted the tv out.
Robin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.