Hello friends. A newbie has few general questions
Hey there folks. Fortunately there are kind people like the owners of these forums who make it for newbs like me to get help about this topic. I personally get annoyed by salesman who just to try to push the most expensive item they have on shelf, regardless you need it or no.
Anyways, I have although very limited, but some sort of knowledge in this HDTV thingy. But there are still very few important things that I don't understand and is stopping me from buying HDTV. There is only 2 days left so hopefully you guys can answer before I go buy the TV on Boxing day which I have been waiting for almost 9 months. Please answer as many as you can.
1) Is it true that if you do not plan to play any "next-gen" platforms like ps3 and xbox360 and the only HD content will be coming from cable (or satellite), 1080p is pretty much NOT needed? The reason why I ask this is because I have been told that most broadcasts are done in 720p because it is very expensive to broadcast in 1920x1280 resolution because of bandwidth? Which leads me to my next question
2) If I live in Canada Toronto, and my provider is either Bell or Rogers, what output do these 2 companies use for HDTV? 720p or 1080p?
3) What can I do to make SD NOT look like crap on HDTV? I estimated that 75% of all things our family will watch will not be available in HD...so decent looking SD is kind of important. What can I do to ensure SD doesn't look like crap? Do I need to look for specific models/brands or do I need to buy some sort of addon?
4) My provider gives me some no-name HD cables with the terminal (not HDMI). Is it worth spppending $50-60 on HDMI cable if all I am going to be watching is just regular TV + HDTV and not play games or stream from computer?
5) When having several devices connected to TV, what order does it need to go with? For example if I have:
HDTV Receiver (the terminal from provider)
What order to they have to be in? Meaning...from the wall, the cable goes into Receiver, then from receiver goes to VHS player, from VHS player to DVD player, and so forth? Is there specific order (like VHS player has to come first or last or that sort of thing)
Please answer as many as you can. Every bit of info helps. Thank you very much