Panasonic TH-42PZ700 vs Sony KDL-40XBR4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 2007-12-18, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Panasonic TH-42PZ700 vs Sony KDL-40XBR4

Shopping for a new TV has been an exhausting experience so far with the myriad of options available. After a long search I have narrowed it down to two candidates, listed in the topic of this post.

Some info and requirements:

The TV will be used as display for mostly HD source (1080i HD cable and 720p Xbox 360 as well as future 1080p BluRay/HD DVD) and upconverted 480p DVD material. I have a Denon AVR4308 that does an admirable job of upconverting my current SD DVD source. The only other SD content displayed will be the kid's channels and my 4 year old doesn't care about PQ :-)

The TV will be in a living room with varying lighting conditions and should be able to handle a fairly bright room. I play a lot of video games so fast motion response is a priority.

The 40/42 inch size is dictated by WAF and viewing distance, about 8 feet. I am happy with that, don't need anything bigger.

Both sets are 1080p. I know that at 40" that doesn't make much of a difference but somehow I just want 1080p. Call me stubborn.

Most information I have favors plasma over LCD. However I gather the Sony is about the best LCD display on the market right now, I have seen it and it looks very good. I haven't seen the Panasonic yet. There are no stores that carry both around here so a side by side comparison is not an option. I have read the long threads about Plasma vs LCD and don't mean for this post to turn into another debate. I don't care about power consumption or budget, both are similiarly priced ($2539 vs $2799) and anything under $3K is good with me.

So given all this, I am a bit stumped. Perhaps a coin toss will do the trick or I will let the wife decide based on looks of the set (in which case my bet is on the Sony). But I'd like a more educated way of making the decision. Any opinions welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.