TVGOS in Canada - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-06-21, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what is happening to the TVGOS data stream in Feb. 2009, here in Canada??
In the US, Gemstar has reached an agreement with CBS to carry the new digital TVGOS data stream. I have no info about when it is planned to go live, or if that has already happened, but once analogue TV goes dark next Feb in the US the analogue version of TVGOS is speculated to stop (no need for it).
However, there is concern amongst TVGOS users in the US that current digital hardware that relies upon TVGOS such as digital OTA PVR's might becomes bricks, or it least have to program recordings in manual mode, if they can't translate the digital TVGOS data to analog which they currently use.
I know a year ago when I queried CFTO in Toronto about missing PSIP data, they indicated that they were negotiating with guide services. I didn't think to further inquire if they were referring to TVGOS, since it wasn't the point of my question.
So does anyone know if CTV has agreed to deliver the new Gemstar digital product? Will it be delivered on digital OTA broadcasts only and still deliver the analog TVGOS on the analog broadcasts, and for how much longer??
I'd like to know about this too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

I would venture to guess CTV would continue to carry it untill 2011. After that is anyones guess.
As far as down here, I really don't see a future for it here since there aren't any tuners that have the feature any more. The last TV's that had it (AFAIK, Mits and Sammy) were discontinued last year.

I'm just hoping CTV still carriers it since I will be able to use their data here with some editing to the cable channels.
post #48 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-06-27, 12:41 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that after speaking with Sony, my problem was tracked down to using the wrong channel lineup.

After changing to the "CKCO=Channel 125" lineup, I got a full listings
on my RDR-HX900 in the Toronto area.

Whew!

Brainer

post #49 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-06-30, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Shaw Cable not supporting analog TVGOS in Calgary

I've been using a HDD video recorder from Toshiba which works on TVGOS since early 2007. Since mid-June, I have not been able to get TVGOS schedule updates through Shaw cable. A call to customer service at Shaw elicited the response that their move to all digital service and need for bandwidth led to decision to drop support for analog TVGOS. I don't think they provide digital TVGOS support either. Calls to Toshiba customer support get me nowhere, and I have repeatedly tried to call Gemstar to find out the status of their system in Calgary without getting through on their toll-free number. Will digital TVGOS service be available in Canada in future?

I think that CTV has been carrying the TVGOS signal on cable channel 3. Would it be possible to get analog TVGOS updates through an on-air antenna? Has anyone tried this?

Another problem is that Shaw has not been providing to Gemstar their full channel line-up. Every other TV schedule I have checked has the correct cable line-up (newspaper, TV Times, Zap2it)

I will endeavour to find out more , but if anyone can fill me in on the situation it would be appreciated.

...Greg
post #50 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-06-30, 03:12 PM
Kro

Quote:
However, there is concern amongst TVGOS users in the US that current digital hardware that relies upon TVGOS such as digital OTA PVR's might becomes bricks, or it least have to program recordings in manual mode, if they can't translate the digital TVGOS data to analog which they currently use.
I know a year ago when I queried CFTO in Toronto about missing PSIP data, they indicated that they were negotiating with guide services. I didn't think to further inquire if they were referring to TVGOS, since it wasn't the point of my question.
So does anyone know if CTV has agreed to deliver the new Gemstar digital product? Will it be delivered on digital OTA broadcasts only and still deliver the analog TVGOS on the analog broadcasts, and for how much longer??
I'm not 100% sure of this but here's what I know: CBS will "Broadcast" TVGOS data on it's DT channels (~Febuary 2009) TVGOS ver 9 and above will support that automatically, I don' what will happend with previous version. Anyway if youcan get US station it's alway better to use the US "broadcats of TVGOS. Here in montreal if I use TVGOS with my postal code there's no DT channel and the channel list is not very complete. I'm using US ZIP code and I got all the channel list (DT-Analog Canadian and US).

On my TV there also a special hidden menu wich allow to dowload TVGOS ROM from a selected DT channel. (I don't know what itis for)
post #51 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 01:03 PM

I use my local postal code but are missing channels also, like new additions. AMC Canada or MTV etc.. I wonder if I put in a zip code or postal code from a more populated area I would get more channels?

I asked Panasonic about their TVGOS feature on their DVR and how long will they work. This is the reply I got back.

Quote:
Canada's Analog TV broadcast will switch over to Digital in 2011, not in 2009
as in US. Since CFTO is a Canadian station, TV listing will continue to be carried until 2011.For the moment, we do not have nay information about what happen with TV Guide in 2011 when analog TV switches over to digital TV.
post #52 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 09:02 AM
Kro

adjjb:
If you are near the US Border (that is you get PBS and CBS) you should use a US zip code, you will have more complete listing and yes it will work after the analog shutdown..
post #53 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 08:01 PM
Rookie

Unhappy TVGuideOnScreen

I bought a Hitachi 42 inch Plasma beginning of the year. TV Guide On Screen was working fine up to a few months ago . Have spent the last few months providing Tv info to Hitachi back and forth. They have come back and said nothing wrong with TV and TVGOS must be with your cable provider who can't seem to give a definite answer, any feed back and/or any one else having problem with TVGUIDEONSCREEN in the last few months. I am in the Victoria BC area.

THANX

Last edited by 57; 2008-10-15 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Post moved to existing thread on TVGOS.
post #54 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 11:45 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
See earlier posts in this thread. Post 49 doesn't bode well... You may wish to search for "TVGOS" on this forum for more threads on the topic.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #55 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-20, 09:26 AM

Sorry you guys are having the misfortune of losing guide data.

When you say "doesn't bode well", I wonder if you mean for Shaw areas, or all of Canada.

Can't speak for your area, but I believe I'm still getting TVGOS guide data on my Sony DVDR. I'll check in the next few days and post results here, if anyone wants.

I'm in Toronto, on Rogers. That might at least provide some reassurance to similar users.

Brainer
post #56 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 07:30 PM

I use Rogers in Toronto also and haven't had a problem. Have you tried changing your postal code?
post #57 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro View Post
I'm not 100% sure of this but here's what I know: CBS will "Broadcast" TVGOS data on it's DT channels (~Febuary 2009) TVGOS ver 9 and above will support that automatically, I don' what will happend with previous version. Anyway if youcan get US station it's alway better to use the US "broadcats of TVGOS. Here in montreal if I use TVGOS with my postal code there's no DT channel and the channel list is not very complete. I'm using US ZIP code and I got all the channel list (DT-Analog Canadian and US).
A work colleague of mine in Niagara Falls, NY told me that there is no digital TVGOS data appearing in his CECB box which should be receiving it.
A contact of mine within the CBS station in Buffalo, confirmed this. Currently it looks bleak for those in Southern Ontario who have hardware capable of receiving the digital version of TVGOS. My contact has given me permission to post this info provided to me:
Quote:
"We are not currently transmitting TVGOS data. At the CBS Engineering Meetings in Las Vegas this April there was talk of CBS partnering with TV Guide but I have not heard any more on the subject since then. I am not aware of any immediate plans to do so in this market."
Since Buffalo is not currently providing the digital TVGOS, and may not provide it in the immediate future, the question remains: What is going to happen in Feb. 2009? In the US, will analog TVGOS be shutdown? Apparently some consumer electronics are capable of taking the digital TVGOS from the signal and converting it to analogue for legacy equipment connected to it.

I have contacted CFTO, (CTV in Toronto) to find out if they will be transmitting the digital TVGOS, or if they have any information regarding whether or not TVGOS will continue to provide them with an analogue version. That seems very unlikely since they most likely will not be providing stations in the US with the analogue version starting in Feb. 2009. I have not received a response from CFTO.

I fear that those in Canada who are currently using the analogue version will be out of luck in 4 months. Those who have purchased newer equipment capable of using the digital version, or capable of converting the digital version to analogue for use by legacy equipment, may also be out of luck.
post #58 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 01:34 PM
Kro

99gecko: I had a similar answer by FraserR from WCAX (CBS).

Quote:
I heard back on the connection between TVGOS and CBS. TVGOS, an interactive TV guide service, is being pitched as a possibility with CBS. My understanding is that they have approached the affiliates, and if enough sign on and invest in the service, then CBS will have TVGOS. It seems like a lot of things have to fall into place first, so even if it happens, it probably won't be right away.
in this article
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6435011.html

Quote:
The agreement, announced Wednesday, allows for the distribution of data for the TV Guide On Screen IPG over both CBS owned-and-operated stations and participating affiliates.
So if your "Local" CBS station is an affiliates you might not get the services.
post #59 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 01:45 PM
Veteran

Ughh! my CBS is an affiliate, O&O by the LIN TV corp. LIN TV owns ten CBS affiliates however, so if they receive enough pressure perhaps they will add it to all of their CBS stations

Time to start writing letters! (http://www.lintv.com/)
post #60 of 470 (permalink) Old 2008-10-26, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

I have two devices that have the analog version of TVGOS. I am banking on CFTO's transmission of the Gemstar data after next year (since nothing really has changed up north).

You guys think CFTO will drop this??

Tags
shaw , tv guide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.