Are you buying Extended Warranty for your Plasma TV? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-11-30, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Are you buying Extended Warranty for your Plasma TV?

I purchased my Panasonic TH-42PX500U at a very good price from the best salesman at Future Shop. But I did not buy the extended warranty (a.k.a Product Service Plan, PSP) from them 'cause I thought it was too expensive ($600 for 3 years, or $800 for 4 years).

However the scary thing happened to me. About 3 weeks later, I noticed a defect on my plasma screen. There's a one-pixel wide 10" long vertical strip in yellow colour (the blue sub-pixel failed to light up) on the left bottom corner just 1 inch next to the border from middle of the screen all the way to the bottom. I could have been there since day one, or developed during the 3 weeks time period. But it's definitely not a burn-in.

I called up my sales buddy, and he said "don't worry we'll exchange it for you". While I was at the store for the exchange, he again asked me if I would like to buy the extended warranty. I said "No, the bad thing can't happen twice on me. I'll just risk it."

Oh well, I was proven to be wrong. A week after I got my new TV as replacement, I found all the buttons on the main unit under the front panel were not functioning. I was always using the remote control, and everything worked fine with it. Also the plasma screen looks perfect. I would hate to do another exchange.

So, I called up my sales buddy, and he said that sounds like another defect and he would exchange it for me again. He said he never had a customer got the same model of product with defects twice in a row.

Now, I'm seriously thinking about buying the extended warranty. But $800 for 4 years is still too expensive for me. In another thread, hoodlum mentioned avdeals.ca offers similar 4 year extended warranty for only half of the price at FutureShop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
avdeals.ca has a 4 year warranty extension for any TV under $5k for only $440. The TV doesn't need to be purchased through them but you do need to purchase the warranty at least 60 days before the Manufacturers warranty runs out. The extended warranties are administered through VAC (used by American Express, Staples, etc).

http://www.avdeals.ca/extended_warranty.htm

It looks like Burek007 actually paid $3900 for the 42PX500 when you take into account the $400 profit on the extended warranty he purchased for $799.
Here's my survey for everyone with a plasma tv or going to buy a plasma tv:

1. Are you buying extended warranty for your plasma tv from the same dealer? i.e. FutureShop

2. Are you buying extended warranty for your plasma tv from a 3rd party? i.e. AVDeals.ca

3. Have you ever used the service the factory warranty service?

4. Have you ever used the service under dealer's extended warranty?

5. Have you ever used the service under 3rd party's extended warranty?

6. Would you suggest the extended warranty that you bought?

Last edited by iron; 2005-11-30 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-11-30, 03:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Most HDTVs can be fixed relatively inexpensively (relative to the overall cost of the TV) even if something goes wrong. ie - repair cost may be say $200-$500 on a CRT, DLP, LCD-based RPTV, etc. Which is basically what the warranty costs...

In the case of a Plasma, there is not much that can be repaired, therefore an extended warranty is certainly something to be considered. I hope you find the information you're looking for.

I assume you've seen the Digital Home FAQ on "Extended Warranties". Some premium credit cards double the manufacturer's warranty...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-11-30, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, 57! I'm definitely going to buy an extended warranty for my plasma tv 'cause I like it so much and would hate to see it dies in a couple of years.

Now, I'm just debating should I buy it from Future Shop when I go back to do the exchange, or buy it from AVDeals.ca or some other 3rd party. I'd like to hear someone's true experience of using the extended warranty to get their plasma problem fixed.

I also read your FAQ - Extended Warranties and found out that "BB & CC make over 30% of their overall profit on extended warranties".

The price at AVD is reasonable, but their terms are quite loose. Instead, FutureShop's terms are clear written, but it's too pricy. The FS terms I like are:

If we can’t fix it, we’ll replace it
You’ll have peace of mind knowing that your product will be replaced if we are unable to repair it, or if the repair will take longer than 60 days.

Don’t get stuck with a lemon
If your product requires more than three major repairs, we’ll provide you with a replacement product.

Protect yourself from power surges

Your product will be repaired or replaced should it be damaged by a power surge (hardware only – software and data not included).

After paying close to $4,000 after tax and delivery, and two defective sets, I would like to have peace of mind now with my 3rd plasma tv.

Off the topic, I would like to thank DHC for providing such a great place loaded with all the information and helpful folks around. Couldn't get the deal for my tv if I were not here.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-11-30, 06:54 PM

Question Extended Warranty

I am going to be buying a TH42PX500 from FS or BB.

I’m not sure about the extended warranty. The BB warranty is $600 for 2 yrs. And $1000 for 4 yrs. FS is the same but with $800 for 3 yrs. The Panasonic warranty is for 1 yr. and it obviously doesn’t cover everything that the retail warrantee does. Furthermore, I know you can get a lower price (some say $3300 on a TH42PX500) if you buy the warranty. That’s because the sales rep gets a huge commission on extended warrantees (I know BB is not commission, but for sure they get “brownie points” and better reviews (and salary increases) at the end of the year.)

Some questions:

1.Is the retail (FS & BB) warranty extending the manufacturer warranty or does it start as soon as the unit is purchased?

2.If you get the price down to $3300 and pay $800 for a warranty ($4100 one example from another post,) you are still paying $400 for a 3 yr. warranty. In other words, $4100 – $3700 (price last week) = $400. Do you think the $400 is worth it?

3.If you have a problem with a unit, it’s most likely going to be during the first year or in the latter years when it gets older… similar to a car. Do you think there would be a problem with it between year 2 and year 5?

4.Can you buy an extended warranty from another retailer (like AV Deals) when you buy a model they didn't and don't even sell?

Any help/comments would be very much appreciated. Heck, call me an idiot even! This is not my area of expertise, so just let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by second_5_8th; 2005-11-30 at 07:10 PM.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-11-30, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Hi second_5_8th,

I'm facing the same question about extended warranties and just posted my own thread this afternoon.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=34039

I bought my TH42PX500 from FS, and unfornately I'm going to exchange it for the 2nd time due to a defect found on the set. So, I'm going to buy the extended warranty from either FS or a 3rd party like AVDeals.ca

Keep me posted with your final decision.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-11-30, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if the price for the extended warranties is also negotiable like the TV's price. Anyone had success in this area?
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-11-30, 07:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Everything's negotiable.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-01, 04:37 PM

FS/BB's extended warranty starts from date of puchase. Avdeals' starts from end of manufacturer’s warranty. Comparing the prices($800 vs $280), I think avdeals' plan is very attractive. I'll consider it when my 2 year warranty ended ( 1 year manufacturer plus 1 year credit card ). I can be sure by that time, the price of 42" panny plasma TV will go down to under $2500, then I'll pay less for the extended warranty($230).
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-02, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh888
( 1 year manufacturer plus 1 year credit card )
Thanks for bringing up this point, slh888! I just called my credit card provider to confirm, and my plasma tv is also covered by them for one extra year after the first year's factory warranty. Now I'm a happy camper.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-02, 02:39 PM

I brought that up in post 2.

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-02, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Oh, thanks, 57! Don't know how I missed that one there.

My 3rd 42PX500 is coming home on Monday. I was told by the staff that they've only seen two defective 42PX500, and I got both of them.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-03, 02:53 AM

I bought the 4 year warranty from Future Shop for $900 ($100 discount) when I bought my 42" Panasonic TH42PX500.

It seemed like a good idea.

42" Panasonic Plasma / 20" LG LCD HDTV / Motorola DCT 6412p2 / Motorola 6200 / Shaw HD Digital Cable, Phone, Internet
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-03, 06:30 PM

Has anyone bought a warrenty from AVDeals ? It says that it kicks in after the manfatures warrenty is over, so if you buy the 4 year, then you basiclly have 5 years of coverage for a much more resonable price (439.99).

I'm leaning towards doing this, but will be doing a lot of reading up as well.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron
Oh, thanks, 57! Don't know how I missed that one there.

My 3rd 42PX500 is coming home on Monday. I was told by the staff that they've only seen two defective 42PX500, and I got both of them.

How does it work when you have defective unit - they just bring a new one to your home and take away old ? Or they send a tech first to verify that unit is defective ?

And if I want to return TV within 30 days do I have to bring it in store myself or they come to pickup ? If yes, do they charge for that ?
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 2005-12-04, 09:23 PM

It would depend on the fine print in the warranty and the store that you purchased it from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.